27 May 2009

Job Well Done

Share
For several weeks now, I've been watching this particular man on the way to work. He's holding a sign for the Casa Grande Apartment complex advertising that they're renting. I have never seen a man who deserves his money as much as this man.

He exemplifies excitement. You've seen sign "twirlers" before. I usually notice them because they're not doing their job- talking on a cell phone, sitting down, leaning in the shade, or otherwise obfuscating that for which they are supposed to be advertising. Since I don't buy much and hate advertising, I am not usually one to look at their signs anyway. When I go out shopping, I usually know what I want prior to arrival at the store. This man is ALWAYS swinging his sign, standing up, and on task. The one time I saw him "slacking" was when he was taking a drink of water, and I see this man on the way to work every day M-F.

He demonstrates dedication. No matter the weather, no matter the temperature, and despite the probably dismal prospects, he's out there working. I don't know how he can do it every day when we're already reaching 100F during the day. While other people in this country sit at home and bewail having lost their jobs or complain about unrealistic demands placed on them by employers, spouses, or whomever, this man stands at the corner of a busy street in the heat advertising a deal that can't be beat. Astounding.

He tolerates the untolerable. From fumes to heat to the searing sun, this man is what every postal employee is not. He's the kind of person who would have run the original Marathon. Although I like physical labor, enjoy the outdoors, and don't mind working hard, you would have to pay me a pretty penny normally to get me to do what this man does. I suppose if the pay were high enough or if I lost my job I might because I have done so before, but not in the summertime in Las Vegas. I don't know how he does it.

He deserves a raise. If I could hire men like him to work for me all the time I would because I would know I was getting my money's worth.

No comments: