06 September 2008

Toilet Paper Theory on Relationships

Share

I know and speak with a lot of people who abide by very different moral codes than the one by which I choose to live my life. Many of them seem to misunderstand the fundamentals by which one forges lasting relationships, as evidenced by the choices they make and the preferences in their selections of persons with whom to enter relationships. After the guys with whom they elect to "hook up" stop talking to them when they say they want to take it slow or cut back on the physical aspects of relationships, they vilify all men and ask me why.

These "guys" with whom they choose to associate are not real men. Quite frankly, I cannot understand why they want to be with this kind of person, just based on their physical attributes. Amazingly enough, good looks and good morals rarely coincide.

In the end, they choose people with whom they can fool around, planning afterwards to part ways forever. However common this eventuality may be, I find it highly illogical and contrary to happiness. This attitude represents basically my relationship with toilet paper. I connect with it in a way I connect with nothing else on earth, then I flush it away and have no desire to see it again. What is the point of that?

If it's not lasting, was it ever real? I don't understand the point of pursuing things that we believe or plan from the outset to be abandoned. That's like investing your entire life into a project you know is doomed to fail, but you choose to participate anyway, help make it fail. Yet, this same attitude is reflected in everything else that young people endorse. It comes I'm sure from the mentality of the teenager, a mentality thank God I was blessed never to have adopted.

No comments: