30 September 2008

Serving the Constituency of Self

Share

As I've written to my elected representatives about the Bailout Bill it seems apparent to me that they don't care one whit what I think. No sooner than did the bill go down to resounding defeat than they turned around and discussed writing another different bill that might pass. As of today, I've heard from only one person to whom I wrote on the matter, and that was Congressman Jon Porter (R-NV), rationalizing why he voted in favor of increased concentration of power at the federal level.

Although I've never seen the American people resound so strongly against something, they can't let it lie. It's all about what they want, and they want more power. At first, it was all I could do to reach them. So many people registered their voice on the matter that it shut down the switchboard and the email handler for Congress. Although I already knew Harry Reid could care less, Jon Porter's response surprised and frustrated me since I was going to campaign for him against Dina Titus. I know Dina Titus doesn't give a flying flapjack either, but apparently Jon Porter doesn't want to stay in office.


His service apparently riddled with controversy, it was my initial idea to run against him for the nomination, but I missed the deadline. When I heard about Titus, I knew I couldn't let her get in, but I really grow tired of voting self-servants instead of public servants into office. In this instance, apparently Porter followed Bush's lead, which was to do what the Democrats wanted. In terms of Porter's campaign, this event undermines their criticism of Porter following Bush, since Bush followed them. If the president from an opposing party sides with them, how can anyone who follows him be really that bad for them?

Career politicians are bad for America. The longer they stay in Washington, the more they grow disconnected from their constituents at home and the more they answer to constituents with money. That's the plot of "Mr Smith Goes to Washington". How prophetic it seems to be, irrespective of party. Voting more power to government is akin to political suicide in Constitutional Republics, but maybe he's just out to get as much for himself as he can while still in office and then take the money and run.

I can't vote for the Marxist, but I don't want Porter thinking I condone his actions. Catch 22.

No comments: