23 September 2015

Sad Squatter Squalor

Share
One of the most exciting days up on Mt. Charleston this summer was this past weekend when my female companion and I discovered the squatter's cabin. It's of course in violation of several federal laws, and so it became #1 priority for the work crew to tear it down, which means none of you will probably ever see it. It's one of the most intricate and elaborate structures I've seen on the mountain, and it's really sad for several reasons. First off, all you have to do to be left alone is to not start a fire anywhere. Secondly, it strikes me as sad that someone lives like this, with only the bare necessities if that. Finally, given the number of hikers on this trail, the number of people in this city, and the advancements of our time, it's sad that he apparently has nobody to help him. Then again, maybe it's more common than anyone likes to admit. This guy just happens to be on public land, and so squatting won't be tolerated.

We spent this weekend as we have in the past busting up campsites because of fire pits. You can camp all you like in the wilderness for up to 14 days. You just can't have a camp fire up on Mt. Charleston because of the western drought. The first lean-to we tore apart has been used twice this month by campers, and probably by the same ones because I found the same crappy beer and cigarette butts this week as last time. Obviously these people didn't get the message. Just don't start a fire, and we'll leave you alone. If this squatter didn't have an elaborate fire pit, we would probably just mark it for monitoring. Given the other kind of personal affects present, I'm surprised he didn't just get a stove. If only he had one, we'd probably leave him alone (maybe not; I'm a little unsure of the LEO guildlines for the USFS).

When you look at the items inside the shanty, it testifies first to simplicity, which appeals to me. The squatter has only really what you need, that minimalistic lifestyle that as I wrote Monday is very uncommon to Vegans. I doubt very much even from the construction and amenities that the squatter cares about impressing anyone. I think he probably just wants to be left alone. He had a lamp and two books, which means if he were at Walden Pond we might consider him a Thoreau of the West. I don't know where he was, but I did watch, because we were inside his home, but we didn't touch anything because it's kind of romantic to just have what you absolutely need and not have to worry about locks or guards or anything to furnish protection against others. We spend so much of our time, money, and concern protecting our worthless queep, but this guy doesn't have to care about that. You have to know where the shanty is to find it.

As everyone in the Obama administration talks about how the economy is roaring and how he saved us from recession, this man lives without purse, scrip, or amenities. He does have toilet paper (although I don't know where he gets it). So much money roars through this city, he should be able to get a job or find a handout and not have to live like this unless he chooses to or is too proud to accept help. What I do know is that he at least learned to fend for himself, and as a fan of self-reliance, I respect that. It's almost a crime to tear down his house; if only he didn't have a fire I think they might leave him alone to ponder and live life on his own out in the wild. There was a time when this was common. It's part of the romance of early American lore to go live off the land on the land and not have to leave your land for any necessity of life. Of course, Vegans are not into what is necessary; they are into what is opulent, popular or elevating, and so as much as this guy appeals to me they would probably celebrate the imminent destruction of the hovel.

I felt sad coming down the mountain. I mean, it was a day of exciting discoveries, and the shanty is kind of exciting until you realize what it represents. This man has nothing of what matters to the world and nothing of what matters for the duration. He has no money, no possessions, and no titles. He also appears to have no family or company. That is sad. As blessed as I am, I really only care for one thing; I wanted to be a dad, and I only met one woman in my whole life with whom I really wanted to have a family, but she hasn't spoken with me for almost 18 months. Maybe that's his problem- he's living a life of solitude because of disappointment and defeat. Maybe he's fleeing an abusive spouse, a criminal record, crushing debt, or some other burden that can't climb up the mountain to bother him, and it makes me sad to take that away from him.


The images in this post are propriety and cannot be used without permission of the owner of this blog. Violators will be prostituted.

No comments: