02 June 2015

Penny Promise

Share
For the better part of a year, I walk, run, hike, or some other way reach 12 miles per day. On some of these trips, I pick up pennies, so many in the course of a year that I have quite a pile on my desk. I do this because pennies come with a promise, and because I decide to remind myself of that promise by picking up as many of them as I can.

I prefer to pick up pennies face up. It's not about their face value as much as it's something I value on their face. Emblazoned above Lincoln's head lie the words "In God We Trust". Although it's not on all of our coins anymore, it still remains on the pennies, and it reminds me every time to ask myself whether I still trust Him, His promises, His grace, His timing, and His love. Sometimes, as many as nine times in a day, I see those words above Lincoln's head and think about what He has told me and remind myself to be true, to trust Him, and to keep moving forward.

I know they aren't probably worth my time to pick up for any other reason. They really are all I have sometimes on a daily basis to reorient my attitude, opinion, and gaze in a direction that means anything. Sometimes, I feel like I only have as much faith as a penny can buy, but as the pile grows, I feel like God takes every opportunity He can to start a conversation with me. F. Enzio Busche gave a speech years ago and told us that "God always attempts to speak to you. Listen carefully and follow the uncomfortable suggestions He makes, and everything will fall into place (Unleashing the Dormant Spirit)". I feel like sometimes the counsel is completely mental, but I remind myself that I trusted Him before and ended up in a land of promise, and so I trust that if I continue to follow the counsel things will go well, even if not the way I might hope. As I pick up the pennies and think about and talk to my Father God, I get to consider daily if not more often whether I really do trust Him and commit to do better at it, even if only for a few more moments.

God seems to have plenty of pennies. Jay and I even found eight one day hiking up Rocky Gap Road in the wilderness behind Red Rock Canyon. Even more amazing, it seems like most of them are face up, as if it matters specifically to God that I see the message as soon as I notice the penny. It seems like they appear when I'm struggling the most, when I feel the most weighed down, and when I am most likely to criticize myself, and then I find someone dropped one where I just walked or a handful in a place I'm about to go. Yes, God tries all the time to speak to me, and He tells me to trust Him like I have in the past and like I encourage others to do themselves. My sister even messaged me Sunday and thanked me for encouraging her to inquire of the Lord for correction and direction, because she feels led to a land of promise. Well, it's easier to encourage others to do it than to do it yourself, particularly when the metrics measured by men mark you an abject failure. Still, the pennies come, the message repeats, and I affirm both in my heart as well as vocally that I put my trust in the Lord God.

Sometimes trusting God really is a leap of faith. It doesn't take much to bend over and pick up a penny, and it doesn't take much to utter the words attesting to a desire to trust God. Sometimes the work of patience, the work of life, the test of endurance requires a lot more. Only in a leap from the lion's head will he prove his worth. I have lept. I have acted. I have prayed. I have trusted. I have waited. I have seen blessings and miracles and opportunities, and I am still waiting for others to materialize. The pennies remind me of my promise to trust Him so that He can keep His promises. I don't always like how things come down, but I have a roof over my head, food in my pantry, money in the bank, marrow in my bones, and the peace of mind that many chapters of my life that closed against my will did so to my ultimate benefit. That doesn't mean it was easy, but it was the right thing.

In God we still trust at least here, in my house, on my street, in my town, in this country. I can't control what goes on in other people's homes, neighborhoods, towns, and nations, but I can set the tone for what happens for me and my house. Some people think it evil to serve God and use times of trial to justify their true desire to follow the dictates of their own carnality, and some worship the gods of sloth, lust, greed, or government. As for me and my house, we will trust the Lord. It's kind of why I'm particular and yes very picky about those with whom I choose to spend time; if you disagree with me on this point, we're not going to get along very well. I think it's funny that these people will trust powers they cannot see but refuse to attribute them to a person. God once left manna as a sign that He would take care of Israel. For me, He drops pennies to remind me to trust Him, to trust in Him, and to be worthy of what He entrusts to my care. Pennies are a promise, and the pennies are plentiful as are His blessings.

No comments: