20 June 2015

Volunteer Work is Harder?

Share
I'm exhausted. Last Saturday, I spent most of the day up on Mt. Charleston as a volunteer with the national park service. Today, I went back, foolishly, for a second trip because I volunteered and wanted to keep my commitment. I have decided that if this is what it's like to be a NPS ranger that doesn't sit at a desk I'm glad to have my job instead. Over those two days alone, I hiked 30 miles carrying a 35lb pack, giving assistance, directions, water, and first aid to people on the trail. Most of them were not even all that friendly, and some of them I think were intimidated by my gun. I think I understand why most people must get paid to do their jobs.

In all of my trips hiking, I can only recall seeing park rangers on the trails a handful of times. Most of them are where the majority of the people are, which probably makes sense, since most rangers are "interpretive". This means they are there to guide people. Well, since most of the Spring Mountains is actually wilderness, I don't think I've ever seen a real ranger, but I have seen volunteers which is how I found out about this opportunity. Most of them, except for right after the fire two summers ago, were all young, pretty girls. I'm not sure yet if I'm happy or sad not to be paired up with those kind of volunteers, but it turned out to be just fine today.

Last week, I was there mostly as a sign compared to this week. Sure, I gave away two bottles of water and explained some guidance, but most of the people out last week were pretty sure of their destination and preparedness. This week was a different story. It's a much nicer day (no thunder/hail up on the mountain), and so there were probably 50 children under the age of 10 up on the trail where I was, and there was a youth group of teenage girls too. Most of these seemed wise enough to not overextend themselves. Some of the elderly were woefully unprepared when it came to water. Between what I gave away and drank myself (I drank probably 2.5L which is far more than I normally consume), I think I came back with almost none myself. We did get to carry someone out on a stretcher, and then when we went back for the gear we had to abandon at the junction, I hurt my ankle and had to hobble back down. I was glad to be with a 25 YO Male, because he was helpful carrying the stretcher and composed while we meandered our way back down. Of course he chided the "old man" all the way down, but I think everyone we meet is pretty confident I'm the right man for the job.

I haven't encountered anyone I know on the mountain this year, and I haven't encountered any other volunteers. I submit my reports to my supervisor and drop off the backpack each Sunday at Church where he is a fellow parishoner so that they can replenish my supplies, but mostly I see people. I am disappointed this year to see so many unhappy people. Only one person really stood out today, and that was probably 2 miles into the day when I took pictures for a woman and her mother. They were very pleasant. Some people didn't say ANYTHING to me, even when I tried to engage them in conversation. Normally I like hikers, but today was just a dour day.

I'm so very glad to be home, to have driven my much more comfortable 2005 Malibu, and that it's "only" 112F at my house today. I don't think a day of work ever wore me out so much like a day of volunteering does. I remember as a missionary feeling this tired, but work doesn't seem to burn me out nearly as badly, even when I worked under similarly hot and dry conditions elsewhere. I was so dehydrated when we got back to the trailhead I couldn't even spit correctly. What I do know is what this tells me about my conditioning and my perseverance. I went 14 miles today, climbed a total of 2500 feet in net elevation gain (and loss), carried someone to a safer place, carried my own gear, went back for my gear, and made it to the car only eight minutes behind schedule. It was a sore day, a red day, but a great day. Sadly, I was tired enough that for the first time in a long time two hikers managed to pass me, but they were on mile 4 of their day, and I was on mile 10 of mine, so I don't feel too bad.

Maybe volunteer work seems harder because it's something I actually enjoy and so I'm willing to go the distance. Yes, there are some perks, but mostly I am doing something that I love, and so I'm willing to go further and do more because I'm in my element. Years ago, I was given advice to spend my life doing what I love and let God bring the people into my life who belong. I guess not many people really belong, and I'm not a hard core hiker by any means, but I love being out there in the wild with people willing to get out of their cars, out of their own lives and into the world at large. I don't really know if you could pay me enough to do something I detested, and as much as I love science and teaching I won't do them for free. I also don't do this every day; my neighbor is a HS teacher, and he told me yesterday that he hikes five days per week. I'm not that gung ho, and I know if I did that much you'd probably have to start paying me to do it. For now, it's a nice escape with a purpose larger than my own.

No comments: