21 April 2015

Back to 1985

Share
Back to the Future is one of my all time favorite films, and as I get older I find its appeal growing. Many young people today, since we have now arrived in 2015 when Marty travels into the future, opine the lack of flying cars, hoverboards, and the like while at the same time lionizing the historical virtues of 1985. While I think they overstate it sometimes in their romance for a time through which they did not live, I see many things in 1985 that seem far superior to what we have today. If we could go back to 1985, that might not be a bad idea. Last week, I read an article online loathing some of the modern perspectives, and since the article is now offline, let me pass on the salient points for your consideration. I think they're onto something.

Memes abound on the internet lionizing the themes of the Back to the Future franchise. This year, some opine the fact that we still don't have hoverboards, flying cars, and self-fitting clothing. This year, others opine the fact that 1985 had some very decent things that the youth of today never got to experience and that they feel are better than the things they know. What I do know is that I remember 1985 and the years proximal to it with fondness, and people I know who also remember that time of their lives as a prime time to be alive. The youth have a different perspective. I read an article a week and a half ago that is no longer available to read written by someone from that age bracket who had some indemnifying things to say about their generation. It began with the words, "I wish I'd been born 15 years earlier", which placed that person as being born in 1980. Here are their points.

  • 1. We have lost the value of romance. Douchery is the new chivalry and ratchery is the new class. 


  • Young people today do not date, let alone court. When they are in a relationship, what they really mean is that they are sleeping with someone or with someone with whom they hope to sleep. When they get tired, they move on. Very often, they choose partners for convenience or showmanship rather than on virtues. Money makes you valuable. Popularity makes you desireable. Dingbats pursue deadbeats, and most of the rest just kind of float around lost in the no-man's land between the two.

  •  2. We have lost the value of friendship. We use people, break people, "fix" people, trash people, blackmail people, and then upgrade to new people. Et tu, Brute? 


  • Aristotle wrote of the three kinds of friendship. Many of the rising generation make friendships for leverage' sake. Frequently, it's a very selfish prospect, so that when it no longer meets their needs they move along. I ran into a young lady at the campus gym Monday who doesn't even usually give out her real name because she has learned not to trust people that much. Truly, Fezzik was right- people in masks cannot be trusted (although that movie came out in 1987).

  •  3. We have lost the value of conversation. "KK" is not a conversation. 


  • Many organizations use jargon and achronyms, but the rising generation speaks in code. Even my hiking buddy thought LOL meant lots of love. Seriously? It can mean anything you like or nothing. Plus, they do not know how to continue conversations. I get many messages that do not promote continued conversation. Yesterday in fact I tried to buy something from someone off craigslist. I emailed him my phone number, but rather than call me back, he emailed. I was in class and didn't check. So, he sold it to someone else. If he had called, I might have been first. I don't think he knows how to talk to people. NW! RUS?

  •  4. We have lost the value of success. Talent and intelligence will give you a ride, but stupidity will give you a ride in mercedes, and debaucery will give you a full ride.


  • Although also true in my generation that it matters more who you know than what you know, in this generation it seems even more so that people rise for the wrong reasons. I never thought the selfie stick would sell, but then again the guy who sold pet rocks made a mint. The Kardashians are famous, not for talent, but for licentiousness, and so people in this generation get the message that you find success in sensationalism. Particularly in Vegas, I know students who are "putting themselves through school" by selling themselves, and you can go out almost any night and see them on the prowl for the richest guy who will pay for the pleasure of their company. Despite Pirates of the Caribbean, they haven't learned that these things cannot slake their lusts, but they try anyway and call that "living it up" rather than trying to live well. Let's not forget all the money some woman made making memes of her stupid grumpy cat.



I found these interesting observations of the next generation because they illustrate that this generation was aptly named the "me generation" for their self-centeredness. I also found interesting that this particular young man wishes he were part of my generation instead (or nearly so anyway). Among these young people, I do find from time to time people 15 years my junior who like my music, my tastes, and my idea of a good time. My friends are either 15 years older or 15 years younger. It is somewhat comforting to see that although the generation between us may be lost there are young people born in the 1990s who are interested in the goodness of the world I knew as a boy. We've got to send you all back to 1985. If you haven't watched those movies for a while, you should. Those were good days.

No comments: