24 April 2015

Perfect Date

Share
My family laughs constantly about the line in Miss Congeniality where they ask one of the contestants to describe her idea of a perfect date. She responds by describing something unexpected, not a date with a person, but a date of the year. This double entendre comes across as endearing, entertaining, and enlightening, because it invites us to consider all the meanings of that question and what we might answer in her place. The character chooses April 25th because it's not too hot or too cold; all you need is a light jacket.

Truth be told, this is a nice time of year. In years like 2015, sometimes we are lucky enough to enjoy a few weeks of Spring in Vegas, like we did this year. After a very mild winter and some warm days in March, April was actually very pleasant, and we even got some rain showers for the wildflowers.

I have a slight change to her answer in two different ways. First off, today is my idea of a perfect date. This is HER date, the birthday of the only woman I have ever really loved in my life. Although she may be gone, she is still remembered well, and if she reads this, I hope that today is the perfect date of the year for her because it's her birthday and because she still means the world to me. Not everyone is worth 10 cows, but she is. I was deliriously happy when she was in my life. Truly, even death cannot stop true love; I love her and I always will.

As for going out on a date, my idea of a perfect date would be anywhere doing anything with her. If I could, I'd take her over to the Temple grounds, then for some Thai, then out to Red Rock for wildflowers, and then watch the stars. I am a hopeless romantic, and hopefully one day someone I choose to take on a perfect date will actually value that.

Most of the dates I have commemorated this year were and have been sad. Hopefully next Monday will be the last funeral of the year. I am tired of remembering dates associated with someone's death or the end of some awful, bloody struggle. On this date, someone special to me was born, and celebrating that life is my idea of a perfect date.

Happy birthday to my Geautiful Birl wherever you are.

No comments: