30 April 2013

Lookalikes

Share
For the first time I can recall, I showed up to work last Thursday wearing the same clothing as a coworker. I imagine this happens more frequently to other people, but it was a first in my memory, and it was rather fascinating. My coworker immediately put on a lab coat so that “we won’t look like twins”. I saw it as a sign that whoever buys his clothes has the same taste as I do or at least shops at the same stores. It’s not like there weren’t several of this shirt to buy.

Imitation used to be the most sincere form of flattery. When students first started quoting me back verbatim in class and on exams, I felt a little strange, but I knew they were paying attention and remembering what I said. If I were a celebrity, people would be dying to do their hair like mine or buy the clothes I wore or go to the places I frequent. Since I am a coworker, it has become a form of embarrassment.

I am sure that some people live in ghastly horror of showing up in the same outfit or doing “the same old things” as someone else. We are all desperate to make our mark, to be “unique”, and to stand apart from our fellows, but I’m not sure that’s a strength. A tree on its own is more likely to be blown over by the winds of fads and cliques than a group of trees that share values. I don’t feel threatened when people are like me, because I like who I am.

Sometimes, it’s best to just be you. Years ago, an ecclesiastical leader of mine told me in an annual interview that he wished there were fifty of me in his congregation. Years ago, a woman I once dated told me I needed to have children and replenish the population of people who are like me. In our haste to become unique, we become more and more like one another. I see this in the classroom, in the corridors, and in the cliques, that when everyone is unique, nobody will be. The best way to be unique is to be you, and sometimes others will be inspired to follow your lead. When people want to be like you, it is not a threat. It is still a compliment, particularly when it’s about something more than your wardrobe like your work ethic, your values, and your intellect. We do need more good people. You can be the right kind of celebrity by inspiring others to follow you because they like what you are and where you are headed.

No comments: