02 July 2012

A More Excellent Way

Share
The entire point and purpose of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to show men a more excellent way. Although some people do not adopt it, thinking instead that signing a membership roll is the same as behaving like a member, it exists to make bad men good and good men better. For some time I have been saying that if your Faith has not made you a better person, it matters very little what Faith you join. Even more frustrating for me, there are people who resist more truth, more opportunities, more assistance, claiming that they have enough.

What it really seems to boil down to is the price people are willing to pay. Every semester, when I speak with my students, there are those among them who do less well than they expected and a few who do not expect much from themselves. I explain to them that what they receive is commensurate with the price they are willing to pay. If they don't invest much in, then losing or failing doesn't hurt as much, but that which we obtain too easily we esteem too lightly. I expect them to stretch and work for it, but in the end, I desire their success and advancement.

During our Sunday School this week, a member of my congregation reported on his son's activities in Boy Scout Camp. Apparently his son did not want to stick around to help take down tents and pack up the camp. You see, the fun part was over, but that doesn't mean that the work is over. It takes far more to put on a scout camp than most of the boys realize; it takes I am sure more than even I realize. This gentleman explained to his son that there were better choices that he could make. Proverbs abound about how many hands make like work and if we whistle while we work there is a spoonful of sugar. I know when I accompany my father with boating trips we appreciate those who are helpful in preparing and cleaning up afterwards.

Perhaps that is one reason why I really love my beagles. Generally speaking, they are eager to please and truly desire to be better. I think my biggest problem with these dogs is that their attention span is so short that it's easy for them to unlearn habits that are not continually reinforced. However, they are eager to make me happy. I have managed, after several years, to get my beagle to take treats from my hand without getting too excited. When I offer it too him, I say "Gentle", and he frequently removes the treat as gingerly as any animal can that takes food directly with its teeth.

Over the last few weeks, there has been a theme on my mind. In addition to my fear that we sometimes do not let the Atonement take away the mistakes of men we meet, sometimes I also think we refuse to let them rise as far as they are willing to pay the price. We encourage them to reformation, but there is nothing that says that because we have reformed first that we will be better or that we are allowed to hold them back. The Gospel of Jesus Christ exists to make bad men good and good men better. His Atonement erases their mistakes. His involvement makes of them what Lewis calls the "New Men". Who are we to stand in the way?

At least in my experience, I see a lot of people who are satisfied when things are "good enough". They rarely consider what might be better or best. Even when they think they are better, they do not allow other men the opportunity to be better than they are. However, like I tell my students, I am not interested in proving that I am better than they, even if it's true. If the rising generation is not better, smarter, more capable, and more moral than we, our society stops advancing. I do only myself a favor if I beat the students down and hold them back. I truly desire for every one of them to eclipse me in intellect, in achievement, in wealth, and in every way. Sure, that assaults my ego, but it's what's best. It's a more excellent way.

Are we not all beggars? Are we not all dependent in the same way on the same God for our breath, for heat from the sun, and for everything else we receive? The only reason we have anything is because God allows us to have it. We remember our riches and puff out our chests, forgetting to thank our God for them. Then, we unjustly take credit for our success while ascribing blame to God for all of our ills. This morning while running, I explained to God what I would like with the proviso that most of what I have desired would have turned out to be a bad thing for me. I know He has a more excellent way, and so I told Him that if His will and mine are the same, that would be awesome, but that I choose His way and will over mine. I have always been led to a land of promise when I was submissive to His will. Just as He is anxious to bless, I am anxious to please Him. I hope He will be gentle.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I think that's the hard part - -making sure that His will is what comes first. (hard for me, anyhow!)

Beautifully put.