13 July 2012

Everyone Starts With an F

Share
At the beginning of the term, I announce that all of my students all begin the class with an F. You see, although they may have obtained 100% of the possible points so far, since they have obtained no points, 100% of zero is still zero. Some of them take this rough, probably because it’s the opposite perspective to the usual one.

Most students begin their courses under the misbegotten notion that they all have a perfect score. The problem with this is that for many it is an unachievable promise for them to maintain it, and so they disguise as hope and progress an expectation that is incompatible with the educational environment. Far too many programs mistake grades for learning. This sets up the students to all be failures.

Everyone starts with an F. You have earned ZERO points. Everything you do is something that you earn, and everything where you earn fewer points than you desire shows where you need to refocus your efforts and where you have room for growth. I am frequently asked what kind of grades I 'give'. I do not give grades. You earn them. If you do not earn a passing grade, it's because you are unwilling to pay the price.

The normal philosophy is negative. It invites you to manage how badly you fail. Mine allows you to decide what price you are willing to pay for the achievement level you desire. Although there is some resistance, it shows which students are willing to rise to the challenge and pay the price. You see, far too many of them waltz in with an attitude that says "lay the daily knowledge on me". Then they expect to regurgitate facts on an exam. Nobody is going to come in and ask them to explain Dalton's Atomic Theory or LeChatlier's Principle, ask them to name an organic molecule or show which resonance form contributes to the bioactive form of a chemical synthesis, but they may have to apply those things in answering questions on the job or in making choices about what to do.

In the end, I want my students to be able to use the information I give them. Consequently, my courses usually have a bimodal distribution; that means there are two bell curves, one at the high end of the grading scale that shows who was willing to pay the price and another at the average end of the grading scale that shows those who are going through the motions hoping for good enough. Some students even admit that. I remember one older gentleman last term who was happy if he earned a C. I am sure he was surprised and happy with his B. He earned it. He learned, and that's what it's supposed to be about.

As far as I'm concerned, grades are a poor measure of education. They show who is able to regurgitate information. They do not show who is inclined to do the job, who is dedicated to stay the course, who would be the best personality fit with the doctors, or anything other than who has the most stuff shoved in their brain. However, this summer I have been blessed with a marvelous group of 37 students, a majority of whom are motivated and engaged and excited to learn. You see, I explain things to them that they have always wondered, that are relevant to their lives, that inspire their minds, and that help them understand the world and the universe around them.

Many of them pay me the finest compliment they can pay any instructor and sign up for the second term in my section (I only have one section of that course). I look forward to fall and spring with my second semester Chemistry students. There will be more learning, more challenges, but more synergy, and by that both I and the universe will have done useful work.

As in Chemistry, everyone begins life with an F. We are all born into this world poor, naked, hungry, angry, and upset at having been unceremoniously removed from the comfort and safety of the womb. What makes the difference for us is that we have a Savior who is concerned less with our grades (deeds) and more with our nature. He wants us to learn, to turn to Him, to improve when we can and hold our ground when we get there. What He asks us to learn is how much we have a need for a Savior to change our natures and make something better of us. If we are willing to pay the price, repent, and turn to Him, then we pass, not because of anything we did but because of His grace. We read this in the scriptures, that it is by grace we are saved, not by works lest any man should boast. It cannot be by works or else spending time in my garage would make me out to become a car.

Everyone starts with an F. Only the penitent man shall pass.

No comments: