09 April 2012

Fahrvergnuegung

Share
I used to drive for fun. I still do from time to time. Before I moved to Vegas, I took a road trip almost every week to see a different part of the State of Nevada. Some of them were longer than 400 miles round trip just to see what was there. Most people don't do that much anymore. My parents admitted a few weeks ago that they no longer jump in the car to spend time together because it costs too much now.

As an American, but especially as a Westie, driving is a huge part of our lives. Many westies live far away from the 'comforts' of civilized life, and so in order to attend church or buy sundries, we have to travel quite a way. With the advent of the automobile, this became easy, economical, and practical, especially compared to walking or horses. When I was younger, we took annual family vacations to see historical places of interest or scenic country. Driving also allowed my mother to lull me to sleep when I had chollic. When my dad was transferred, we drove, and along the way we saw things, spent time, and built memories at places you can't see if you don't have the freedom to take back roads.

The news claims erroneously that gas prices are not a big deal because a paltry 63% of people consider them a hardship. Truth is that the peopel annoyed by this are not the people who go out with signs and pickett federal buildings. They seek solutions. For several weeks, my dad has been talking with me about his plan to buy a CNG converted car for use in his commute because it's only $2.50/gallon in Vegas, and Vegas has the highest price around. He's not complaining and asking government to help; he's being proactive and working to find an alternative.

Americans don't drive as much because of government intrusion. We don't drive because, like the article claims, we are more efficient at managing inconvenience. We are cutting back where we can everywhere we can. It's because we're no longer free to move about the country because the government does not want us to. They seek to control us. Government is actively trying to put us in smaller cars that are less safe and less comfortable. Government officials are trying to make us feel bad because we have had things too good. Government advocates are trying to make us use more efficient fuels even as they refuse to let us go get them. Government is trying to keep us from making use of the means with which the Lord has blessed us. I have to ask why CNG prices in NV are so high. Do we not have any natural gas? I know from previous posts about Nevada Energy that most of their power is generated by coal (78%), but none of those power plants are new. I suspect the price of CNG is high because we are only allowed to go after solar and geothermal projects.

Despite that, I still enjoy driving. This weekend, I drove up to Provo, saw a play by BYU's Divine Comedy (which is a tradition with my sister), visited some family and friends, caught up on my work, and saw some beautiful country. It cost me $270, but I believe it's worth the money to build memories with family.

Although Volkswagon has abandoned the Fahrvergnuegung advertising campaign, I enjoyed it. In driving there is enjoyment. I love the wind in my hair, the sun in my face, and the company of someone along the way. I love the journey as much as the destination. Sometimes, we just need to get away, and I miss the days when it was easier to move about the country. Gas prices are a symptom, not a cause. There are people who believe that gas prices are the cause. Surely they cause other things, but if we were allowed by our own government to actually use an "all of the above" approach like Obama's own campaign website claims, we'd see lower prices. Last night, my mother read a story about how we have so much CNG that we're running out of places to store it, which is similar to our huge gasoline reserves in the USA which we then sell to other countries. That's just stupid. Government is shackling industries, which causes prices to rise, which causes hardship. Sometimes individuals in companies are unscrupled; government is however normally nothing more than legalized plunder.

I enjoy driving. I enjoyed driving a Ford Mustang. My cousin thought I could totally pull it off as my own, and my sister thought I looked good with it. It sure beats driving my Saturn, but I love that car because it has taken me to amazing places at a great value. I have enjoyed driving it, and I will continue to enjoy driving it as long as the cost of operations is less than the benefits I reap from being able to go where I like when I like at a price I like.

No comments: