27 October 2011

I Also Have a Dream

Share
Most of the time when I'm driving, since I'm not forced to look at the outside of my car, I forget how it looks. Yesterday, I was passed by a guy driving a Ferrari who looked at me as he drove by with a look of disgust on his face. At first I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong. Then I figured it out.

It is the disposition of almost all people to compare themselves to others. We get a new suit or into a new car, even if they're not ours, and then compare ourselves to other people. I can only imagine that, as he drove by me, the man looked over and asked himself as he looked at my jalopy, "Have you no pride?" Would that really be a bad thing?

Several times, I have considered replacing at least the paint if not the entire car. Then I consider all the money it has saved me by driving away women who were only interested in my car. One of the other fellows in Chemistry showed me a scientific study on women who go after guys with fancy cars. They don't stay. I could have told you that, but it's nice to have empirical data on which to base my conclusions.

I wonder where we got the notion that the hotter the car the better the person. I wonder how many people do what they do professionally not because they enjoy it but because they enjoy the 'stuff' they can buy because of wht they do. Far too many of us spend money we do not have buying things we do not need to impress people we don't like. The rest of us, comfortable and confident in who we are, independent of what we possess, are labeled as arrogant. What a laugh!


I have a dream that one day my Saturn will not be judged by the color of his skin but by the content of his character. With rare exception, this car has outlasted even the most liberal projections of its utility and reliability. While I have my own fears about how much longer it may prove dependable, so far it has not been the problem except in a few rare circumstances. My parents always told me that it's what's on the inside that counts, but that doesn't seem to really matter to anyone. It's high time that it did.

No comments: