27 September 2011

If it's Almost, It's Not

Share
I actually tried to buy a new(er) car today. Yes, honest to goodness, I almost bought a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The husband was a nice guy; his wife was somewhat intransigent.

She is a businesswoman and a haggler. I came prepared with what I thought it was worth, because no matter what you think, the things you have are really only worth what people are willing to pay for them. She insisted that since it was 'almost excellent' condition, she should get the price for a vehicle in excellent condition, nevermind that price was still less than her asking price. Almost just doesn't cut it.

I heard somewhere that almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. If you say something is almost, it usually means it's something less. Since Kelly Blue Book doesn't have a pricing guide for 'almost excellent', it was at best 'good', which was $700 less than her asking price. She wouldn't budge. As such, she 'almost' sold the car today.

Almost is a tricky word. You can't almost avoid being hit by a bus and say that's a good thing. You almost made it home alive. If you almost laughed, it doesn't mean the comedian was any good. Try telling the IRS you almost paid your taxes and see if they think it's good enough. If you're almost faithful, almost rich, almost finished, or almost old enough, you are none of those things.

The woman insisted the car was a certain condition and as such almost sold the car. I drove away. Car2D2 got me where I needed to go, no almost about it.

No comments: