22 September 2011

Upgrade Your Echoes

Share
Before the first exam of the semester Tuesday night, I had a brief exchange with the students. Among the topics not on the test that came up was the subject of encouragement and echoed sentiments. I left those who listened with an upgrade I choose to discuss here.

It is the more common advice to say something that is subconsciously countereffective. We tell people "don't panic", having forgot that as children when our parents told us "don't X&Y" we immediately did X&Y. Your brain doesn't know how to 'don't' something, and this particular construct is technically a double negative, full of bad energy.

It's hard to upgrade sometimes, partially because it's habit, and partially because some of our upgrades aren't that good. I initially wrote "calm down" and immediately erased it, recognizing that the word 'down' was a downer, literally! In the end, I wrote "Be Calm" and left it at that. It was the best message I could manage.

Be careful when you give advice and pass on thoughts to leave something as positive as possible to echo. We all know subconsciously that people leave on the last screen of their presentations the take home message with which they want to impress our minds. Let the best thing you can echo, for the last part is the part they remember best.

Maybe my students don't like me. Maybe they will drop the class after this exam. For those who stick it out, I will leave them with a series of these sayings to teach them things that are not reflected on transcripts or required on the rubric. After the grades are in, people will want to know who these people really are and why they should hire them. I intend to give them tools that will make them stand out and stand up and stand well against other candidates as they move forward with their careers. After all, I know they are my customers, and I will give them as good of a product as I can manage for the price they pay. If they pay the price, maybe we'll all know about the echoes of their lives in form of what they leave as their legacy. Upgrade your language, and you can upgrade your students.

1 comment:

Jan said...

The kids in your classes are lucky to have you. They have someone who not only cares about them and the subject matter - but you care about preparing them for their futures as well. I love that. You are a gift (to all of us!).