16 February 2010

Fighting to Win

Share
Normally, I'm not much of a competitor. In truth, I lack the committment and dedication necessary to become an Olympian. I play sports for exercise more than I play for score. Most of what I do, I do so that I can say I did it. The honors that most things of the world bring are not things I value, save only one.

When I went to Boston last September, unbeknownst to me, there was a movement afoot throughout the nation that has come to be known as the Tea Party. As a major drive behind my trip, as my best friend Thom can tell you, I specifically went to Boston to throw tea into the harbor. Now, I'm not much of a Son of Liberty after the fashion of the rapacious Samuel Adams, but I am Freedom's First Friend. That honor is one I value.

Today, I happily read about the Marine sniper who
escaped a brush with death. This man is about my age. If you look at his face, you can see he has spent many years as a dealer of death and destruction to the enemies of American ideas. He might, as do I or Sam Adams, tell you:
Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What should be the reward of such sacrifices? Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plow, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom--go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!

I am in this to win. This is the only honor on earth aside from having a child of my own to which I as yet aspire- to defend liberty. Like Reagan said, I have a strategy, that we fight our enemies until they are dead.

To those who served in arms, currently there, or headed that direction, I salute you.
Photobucket

No comments: