07 February 2010

"Do you TAKE this man...?"

Share
On the topic that words matter, I have given some thought to the issue of relationships and marriage. Next week, we will commemorate Singles Awareness Day, a day on which by compulsory means everyone who is not single will get some gift that they didn't really mean to give in order to prove they love the other person. I worry a lot that relationships and marriages are predicated on the wrong principles, that, as I did with my ex wife, and settle for someone.

That's not what the marriage oath says. It specifically says some variation on the theme, "Do you take this man/woman to be your lawfully wedded husband/wife?" Some variations on the theme of "TAKE" include: claim, draw toward, choose, select, lay hold of, capture, unite, captivate, seize, join, ad infinitum.

You don't "settle" for someone. You don't "accept" them. You take an oath in essence in whatever version of the marriage oaths you use. What then is an oath but words we say to God?

You take things that you desire. You take things that you choose. People always make time for the things and people that matter to them. By the choices you make, you show what means something to you. With conviction and courage chase what matters.

When the time comes, make sure that you are with a person you take.

I am the company you keep. Some day, some woman will take me as I will take her as I have been taken with her. That will be a great day!

No comments: