12 January 2009

It's a Choice

Share
This morning I noticed on the Yahoo news feed that Obama has narrowed down the choice of dog to one of two breeds. I'm so glad that he found time for that in his busy schedule because I need a president who understands the canine crisis. I believe that we elected men who know and understand what really matters- pets, not the economy, the Somali pirates, unemployment, or anything else. Way to see to your priorities.

During my trip to DC last week, I grew quickly tired of all the Obama merchandise and the scaffolding that obfuscated the view of the capitol building. I saw some of you fawning over him for his "hotness" in the smithsonian and talking about how he's so much better than Bush. While I'm no Bush fan, I think that Obama is destined to be the worst president we ever had, which is saying something. For the better part of my life, I've said that I was born in the darkest part of American history- the Carter Administration. As for all of you who think that he will heal the land, you have another thing coming. A friend of mine told me today that someone asked him:

why are you tired of hearing about Obama? does the fact that the world will be perfect in a few weeks bother you because you won't have anything to complain about?

There was a protestor at the Chinatown subway stop in DC (who was himself a black man for the record) who among other criticisms reminded any who heard that Obama will not make their lives better. Only they can make their lives better.

A good friend of mine once put up as her status message somewhere online these profound words: It's a choice. The choice is up to you. The power is yours. If your life isn't what you want it to be, make it better. And when you make decisions, put first things first.

Obama would do well to remember that a presidential pooch is not part of his responsibilities- but protecting this country is.

1 comment:

Bri said...

I know I'm tired of hearing about him. This guy has way too much media coverage for someone who hasn't done anything yet. In my observations, every presidential candidate makes many promises to get into office, and try as he might, only comes through on a few of them. I don't see how handing out money to the people is going to save the economy. What we need is employment. President Franklin D Roosevelt gave us this great example of how to get the nation through an economic crisis and in converse, Obama thinks, to coin a phrase, "giving a man a fish" is going to fix things. Malarky!

We, as a nation, have set high expectations and him as our saviour to fulfill them. It would surprise me little if he falls flat on his face and a great many are shocked into a comatose state. This is not a problem that can be solved overnight as he seems to think. The money he hands out has to come from somewhere, and if anyone pulls us through this crisis, it will be the ones who produce value. One of the underlying themes of Atlas Shrugged seems to be in our future if you ask me. You can't rely on others to support you and fix all your problems.