16 January 2009

Whatever Happened to Recess?

Share
Although there are no facilities where I work for real play, I had a sudden inexplicable urge to go out and use a playground, to run around, kicking a ball, playing tag, or something like we used to do when we were kids. I don't often feel this way, and more often than not when it comes because facilities are absent or people are not amenable to that the feeling simply passes without being acted upon.

Back when I took Oganizational and Interpersonal Behavior as part of my business minor in college, we learned about organizations that offer recreation to their employees during the day. Companies like Hewlett Packard do this, not only as a perk of employment but also to strengthen the workforce by giving them an opportunity to recreate during the day and recharge. Studies show that if you exercise, it increases productivity, and if you have a break to look forward to in the middle of the day, it can help stave off the afternoon slump.

Recess taught kids important lessons. It wasn't just to give teachers pause and help us keep focused. I remember fondly learning to keep score, to count, to be counted on, to play games together, to see who got selected. I earned most of my massive marble collection on the fields at recess. I miss learning to play together, for I see a great weakness in our world today of people's ability to get along and play together.

While watching a friend's small girl play with a neighbor girl, something interesting dawned on me. Although neither girl could take, somehow, they both managed to communicate as they played, and they seemed to get along swimmingly. Unlike these children, the education of today focuses instead on how best to snub, exploit, and beat one another.

No comments: