22 December 2014

Play Your Best For HIM

Share
For me, Christmas really only begins the Sunday prior, when my congregation performs their Christmas program. Usually, it involves a series of musical numbers and narration, during which I shut my eyes and just listen to the Holy Spirit. Mostly, I don't really feel like or realize that it's Christmas because I only finished giving final exams last Monday and posted grades on Wednesday, and so until mid December I'm busier than ever with work. This year, I also shifted into a new office and work space at work, and it was a disaster area governed by entropy, so this last week in my free time I've been taking care of errands and working feverishly at work so that it doesn't feel much like Christmas. Finally today I had time to finish the gifting and take care of the people who mean something to me and settle down to think about the season.

One part of yesterday's program that particularly touched me was the bishop's remarks on his favorite Christmas hymn.  His choice surprised me and caught my attention.  Lately, I came across a series of internet cartoons that criticize "Little Drummer Boy" as an inappropriate gift for the Christ child. Apparently these people failed to realize what message the text communicates, and until the Bishop recounted them, I realized I never registered them either.

You see, each of us are like that drummer boy. What do we really have to give the Christ? He is the Son of the Living God, and He has no need of our gold, frankincense or myrrh. Like that boy, we "have no gifts to bring, parum pa pum pum". We have our time, our talents, and our abilities. We have our will. Neal A Maxwell once said that our will is the only thing we can really give to God, our genuine desire to serve him. When the drummer boy offers to play his drum, that's what he's doing- genuinely desiring to do something worthy. Despite attempts to portray it as some kind of grunge display of banging drums, I doubt that's what the song's author had in mind. When you listen to it, it's hardly a harsh drum beat. Sure, percussion isn't usually pretty, but remember that the piano is a percussion instrument too. It wasn't about being a good musician or playing Chopin or giving the best gifts. Sometimes we forget that the first people to visit the Christ were shepherds, ostensibly among the humblest of professions. Rather, like the song reminds us, "I played my best for him, parum pa pum pum". We play our BEST for Him. Finally, what these cartoonists miss is that at the end, even though this was a drum solo, the Christ child smiled at the drummer boy. His best was fit for the King.

"So, to honor Him, parum pa pum pum" I will continue to play and bang on THIS drum. This year, more than ever before, I am grateful for the coming of Christ. It was a tough year in many ways, and like so many before it, I'm glad to see most of it go. I sat in the meeting thinking and listening and registered for the first time in my life that I've been going about this all wrong. The Atonement of Christ wasn't for IF we sin, IF we fail, IF we aren't good enough. He came because it was certain that we could not get back alone. Which of you can, by simple force of will, add an inch to your stature? Which of you can erase a mistake? You can wear platform shoes or keep secrets, but in and through Christ's sacrifice, that is the only way we can hear that the Lord remembers our sins no more, covers our pains forevermore, and welcomes us to His presence to depart nevermore.

I don't really know what I have to offer. People who know me well betimes tell me how wonderful I am only to say "You're a great guy, but..." when I don't validate their worth or fulfill their expectations. For some reason, God not only knows my name but also cares about me. For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son that whoso believeth should not perish but have everlasting life. Until this year, I was pretty confident that I was a great guy. I was fairsure that I was a person worthy of veneration. I knew I was no paragon, but I am even more acutely aware now of my weaknesses. I really hope I haven't led anyone astray who followed my lead. You see, my decisions set me up to either be scapegoat or saint, and since sainthood isn't really possible, I'm afraid I'll fail. Well, I will. That's why Christ is such a special message.

The first visitors to the stable where Christ was born were shepherds. They had very little to offer. What they did that mattered most was went abroad and told everyone what they saw and felt and learned from the angels and from the visit to Joseph, Mary and Jesus. Maybe they were not as articulate as they would like or couldn't convey their feelings effectively or didn't get to everyone, but if God wanted that message spread perfectly, He would do it Himself. Instead, He invites us to help Him. I am a poor boy too. I have no gifts fit to lay before the King. I desire greatly to honour Him, to give good gifts to Him, to play my best for Him. I hope that when the final accounting is taken of my life and my drum solo ends, He will smile at me and smile upon me and be merciful to me.

No comments: