24 December 2014

Peace on Earth

Share
Many people lionize the notion of peace on earth as if it's something more than an ideal. As an example, some of them point to the Christmas when, during the Great War, soldiers from the trenches organized their own armistice at Christmas and sang and celebrated together, drinking libations and exchanging gifts. The paradox of that story is that the next day those same soldiers resumed killing each other. As we wish each other peace and joy, I do not think that peace means what we think it means. In our Sunday School this past week, as we spoke about Christ's mortal life and His eventual return, I thought to myself about how Jesus himself described His mission and His coming. While it's well known that He didn't come to throw off oppression in a mortal and temporal manner, I don't think it's well understood how true that really is.

When Jesus first began His ministry, He went to the synagogue and read from the Torah as was their tradition when a man becomes a man. He chose a passage from Isaiah. Rather than war and justice and liberty, it speaks of mercy and hope and kindness. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. Truly, the peace that the Prince of Peace seemed to offer was peace of mind, peace of heart, which might be why they protested Him so vehemently. That's not what they wanted. They asked Santa to throw off the Roman oppressors! Instead, Jesus came to heal their souls and leave the geopolitical establishment virtually untouched.

All too often we discount the value of inner peace. I used to complain that when I prayed mostly what I felt was peace of mind and peace of heart, but I realize now just how much I like that when I don't get it. Of late, as trials mounted, I felt very disquieted, and the peace and love I felt from my Maker gave me courage to press forward, confidence in good things to come, and direction that allowed me to seek a peaceable outcome. There are no fireworks. The status quo remains the same, but I feel better about the situation, and I have peace. I doubt the other parties privy to private matters can say the same.

Particularly this year, I value peace more in a time of turmoil. We had scares about ebola, about cop shootings, riots globally, and a whole extent of reasons to fear. I come home some nights and thank God that my life is quiet and boring. I don't have the flu, I am not trapped in a mine in Chile, I am not in Ukraine worrying about the Russian army, I am not in west africa worried about hemorrhagic fever, and I am not living behind the Cox Cable transfer box or in my car. I sat in church this Sunday and, although I am keenly aware of my weaknesses, I felt the love of God in my life and knew that He would take care of me. Monday morning, I even got some news that alleviated a worry and gave me clarity, and that was a peaceful moment for which I expressed gratitude all day.

I think it's wisdom to celebrate the birth of Christ just before the new year dawns. Just before we think of new beginnings, fresh starts, goals for personal betterment, and hopes for better things to come, we think about the Way by which those things really manifest in our lives. Because He lives, there is hope, there are second chances, and dreams can be realized despite our past. Because of Him, we need only let our mistakes trouble us with the trouble that leads to repentance. Just before we make changes, we think about the Agent of Change. Despite our disappointments with the previous year, we celebrate at its denouement the fact that there will be another year, perhaps a better one, because He lives. Last Saturday, I told someone and myself in so doing that our trials exist to remind us of our need for a Savior, and so I thank God this year as always for the chance and disposition to think about the Christ in Christmas.

Christ offers a different kind of peace than people usually expect. Until Christ returns to rule, there will not be peace on earth in a political sense, but we can have peace of mind, peace of soul, and peace in our hearts about our lives, our choices, and our circumstances any day of the year. In our sphere of influence, we can walk peaceably and be agents of peace. We cannot change the choices other people make, but we can decide how we regard them. We can be better. We can offer the other cheek. We can show them a more excellent way. We can be peaceable. In that way, we make peace and we are at peace despite the tumult and chicanery with which we find ourselves surrounded. The ruderal and rude world may rail around us, but we can feel the comfort of the Comforter because we learned to follow and look toward the Prince of Peace. Until He comes again to rule, the peace is personal. Every day, that peace can be real.

Merry Christmas to you all, and may you have peace and joy today and every day through Christ the Lord.

No comments: