25 March 2013

Google Recommendations

Share
I have no love for Google, as I have previously made mention on this blog. I begin to suspect that Google stands for the opposite of the things for which I stand. When I watch videos on Youtube, a division of Google, I, like most of you, am shown suggested videos based on recent activity. Whenever I watch a video about morality or principle, particularly videos produced by my Faith, the suggested videos are explicitly antagonistic to my views and my Faith. The list of suggestions for future videos grows increasingly saturated with this kind of video the more uplifting videos I view.

The marketing model for Google relies on linking your behavior to similar things. In most other things I view, so long as they are not about politics or religion, the search matrix works very well, recommending items from similar users, similar artists, or on similar topics. It is only in politics and religion that the vast majority if not a plurality of suggested videos are expressly contrary to that which I previously viewed. It begins to feel as if it’s either a dirge of similar videos (which is unlikely) or an active collusion to steer me to specific content.

That would not be the first time Google steered people. Many of their first search results are “sponsored” meaning that those people pay money to appear at the top of the search results. Since most people don’t look past the first page or two, many relevant but free or contrary to the sponsored results are buried and never viewed. There are times when I will click these over and over, not because I want to view them, but hoping to use up the credits purchased so that other people can have unbiased search results.

In class when I teach the scientific method, I impress upon my students this truth. Everyone has an agenda. My agenda is to convince you that everyone has an agenda. They have a purpose that may be contrary or antagonistic or even openly hostile to yours. Even members of your own Faith may believe the same things for different reasons. The only way for anyone to see things the same way you do would be to walk your path and make the exact same choices for the exact same reasons, and since that’s less likely than picking a perfect NCAA bracket, people will vary from you. Be aware of that, and go only where you choose to go.

No comments: