21 February 2013

Worried For My Country

Share
At the Post Office yesterday during lunch, I had an interesting exchange with the elderly gentleman in front of me. He was there mailing out lien notices towards eviction and foreclosure. I told him I have a near neighbor who has admitted to me that he’s not paying his mortgage. The man told me “I would hate to be a young person trying to start out today.” I responded that every generation had their challenges, but I’m honestly jealous of his position.

I don’t know what happened to the America in which I believe. Since I became an adult, I have seen issue after issue surrendered to the party of allowances and license in the name of equality and fairness. This they do without regard for how I feel about it, and I don’t think it’s wise or fair. Truthfully, this began before I was born, but we are now reaping what they sowed.

One of my new coworkers put it an interesting way. As she told me why she loved the beatnik era, she said it was because she loved the thought of something from nothing. This rising generation, begun by the beatniks and romanticized by English literature majors like this woman, believes that something can come from nothing and does. Even worse, they believe in something for nothing. When history is recounted, I think the modern civilized society will trace its fall through the beatnik era. As soon as “eat, drink, and be merry” became not only tolerated but celebrated, it was all downhill from there.

People around me like to compare this time to 1776. In truth, it’s worse. Sure, Franklin was a philanderer, and George III was a tyrant, but this morning I read that Massachusetts of all states has now ablated all idea of gender. When everyone is equal, nobody will be.

I don’t know what will happen or what to expect. What I do know is that George Washington referred to the establishment of this nation as “little short of a standing miracle”. I will pray that God will preserve us as long as a band of Christians remain in the land, not just people who use that title or have that surname, but people who actually follow Christ and strive His works to do for the reasons He prescribed. If He doesn’t intend to preserve us, I will ask Him to help us flee to the next land of promise for us and establish a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created. I have been promised that He will protect and preserve me as long as I defend the Constitution and Declaration. I am a crusader. This is what we do.

No comments: