11 September 2012

In the Hand of God

Share
For two reasons, this theme crosses my mind today. First of all, I was spared from a tragic and perhaps fatal crash last night on the way home. Secondly, as we rely on gods of steel and stone to protect us, I am reminded that prevention of another 9/11 attack relies more on repentance than on technology. Know ye not that ye are in the hand of God and that at His word the earth shall be rolled together as a scroll?

Last night while driving home from lecture, I was already kind of tired. I had the radio on to keep me awake and the window down for the same reason. As a semi truck approached me from the rear to pass in the fast lane, I registered a strange noise. For some reason, I have paid attention to noises made by wheels lately, probably because it was two years ago that I had a blowout and wrecked. I felt like I should look at his wheel well, and when I did, I saw that it was already full of rubber as his tread was probably separating. Right then, I felt impressed to slow down and pull over to put plenty of space between me and the truck. I did so, and as I reached the right shoulder, the truck's tire blew out and flew across the freeway in front of me, striking a road construction barrel with such force that the barrel flew over the edge of the freeway into the neighborhood below. Rubber shrapnel flew everywhere as the truck jack knifed across the lanes of traffic and the truck careened to the right, where I would have been if I'd kept up my speed. If I had been there, he would probably have crushed or flipped my Saturn.

Some of the comments were interesting. People observed that I "must have said my prayers that morning", and in the moment right following the blowout, I tried to pray as I continued on home, but all I could say was thanks. Aside from being stiff this morning from being on edge or in shock, I seem to have escaped unscathed. I don't really consider myself all that special, but it seems important to the universe that I not only survive but survive without any harm. I feel very unworthy of this blessing, not because I am wicked per se, but more because I feel rather insignificant.

As we commemorate the 11th year since the 9/11 attack, many people talk about the use of force to protect Americans. I maintain that the best protection we can procure is the intervention of the Almighty. If we desire His assistance, protection, and intervention on our behalf, now is the time to repent so that, when we need it, His Spirit CAN be with us. To illustrate this, I quote General George Washington from his farewell address to the army:
A contemplation of the complete attainment, at a period earlier than could be expected, of the objects for which we contended against so formidable a power, cannot but inspire us with astonishment and gratitude. The disadvantageous circumstances on our part under which the war was undertaken can never be forgotten. The singular interpositions of Providence in our feeble condition were such as could scarcely escape the attention of the most unobserving; while the unparalleled perseverance of the armies of the united States through almost every possible suffering and discouragement for the space of eight years was little short of a standing miracle.
I think sometimes about why the United States actually emerged victorious and free. I cannot speak to the actual state of grace of the people at the time, but I can say that more of them were talking of Christ and trying to stand in holy places.

In the immediate aftermath of 9/11, the citizenry did too. It was suddenly not only acceptable but fashionable to pray, to ascribe blessings to God, and for the President to reference His interpositions. Today, we labor under a president about whom the following can better be said that "There is God and there is government. God is greater than government and government doesn't like that (Inga Barks)." For our current crop of leaders, they desire government to be the ultimate source of everything. The ax boasteth itself against him who heweth therewith.

We are protected and safe today in spite of President Obama. He had to be persuaded to move forward with the Bin Laden mission. He has not removed our troops from combat or closed Gitmo. I am confident that today, as then, the singular interpositions of Providence keep us safe. As soon as we cast out the righteous from among us, as happened betimes in Sodom and Gamorrah, we will be ripe for destruction. We are safe and free and happy and prosperous still today at least to some degree because we are in the hand of God. He holds us up. He upholds us. If we spurn that, we have no promise.

If America desires to continue or increase in goodness, she must repent. Her people must change their hearts, change their directions, change their directions, and become better people. We must ask God to forgive us, ask our neighbors to forgive us and then seek to make it right. I looked up in my copy of the Royal Standard English Dictionary (1756), and "penitence" meant "willingness to make atonement" or willingness to make things right. Only the penitant man shall pass. Only the penitant man shall persist. Those are the ones God keeps in His hand, protected from dangers and elevated to life and salvation. Today I thank God that I was preserved by the power of His matchless hand. I do not know why. I shall endeavor to be worthy of it.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I am so grateful that you listened. I also know that you are worthy of the blessing you received - -because I know you.

And I will say a prayer of gratitude.