25 September 2012

Gracious Behavior

Share
Years ago while in High School, my US History teacher showed us the movie “Glory” in class. It was rated R, and as a Junior, I was not 17 until just before finals. Having not produced a signed permission slip, I should not have been allowed to see the movie (which offended my sensibilities), and so I filed a complaint with the school district. My teacher, who shall remain nameless, was promoted from teaching to “Dean of Discipline” at my same high school. I have always found that to be a paradox on many levels.

As I grow older, I find this paradox to be the rule rather than the exception. Rather than punish or remove the miscreants, they promote them to positions of both higher authority as well as higher remuneration. I have found this to be true in almost every job I have ever held, that the worst amongst us are promoted while the people who carry the lion’s share of the work are burdened more and more until they quit and go elsewhere.

Frequently, I wonder how these people rose to positions in the first place. As Democrat politicians bemoan the lack of “civility” from GOP “attack ads”, they blissfully ignore the graphic and violent hatred spouted from their own side. Rather than punish or fire these people, I expect they will be promoted and rewarded. After all, it seems to be a badge of honor with DEMs to be immoral, unethical, and unashamed thereof (Lewinsky, Chappaquiddick, and Solyndra ring a bell?). I suspect it’s a basic form of cronyism, where people surround themselves with people who agree with them rather than with people who are the best at the job.

I rather suspect that people refuse to promote me, not as a punishment to be, but as a means to promote themselves. When my manager at Wal-mart refused to promote me, I rather suspect his bonuses depended on his being able to rely with confidence on my performance. When I unexpectedly quit, that must have cut his apparent productivity; they needed me more than I needed them (I now earn twice what they paid me for the same work hours).

The uncivil and the miscreants talk the loudest about how everyone else is uncivil and miscreant. I love this video from Milton Friedman that illustrates how we project our faults on others and unjustly ascribe to ourselves the best that is in us as if the rot does not exist. As Friedman says, “It’s always the other person who’s greedy”. Thus they clothe their naked villainy with odd old ends stolen forth from holy writ and seem saints when most they play the devil (Richard III Act I scene iii). What’s more frustrating is that people believe the act! People actually believe that Democrats give a flying pinwheel about them even while anything the Democrats do helps coincidentally more often than purposedly. Much of it actually hurts.

Jesus warned me about this in John 15:19
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
The world does not reward virtue. The world rewards those that give it special favors. The world is a self-licking ice cream cone that likes to taste itself, so when you offer it more of its own, it will favor you as a supplier, but when you feed it what it ought to (salad fixings), it will spew you out of its mouth. I thank God that, in spite of my quixotic quest I have done as well as I have. I justly ascribe that favor and prosperity to Him. His behavior is because of His grace, for I have received far better than I deserve.

For most of my adult life, I have been working toward and living the law of a world far different than the one I inhabit. I know full well that what I believe and do and feel will be little esteemed nor long noted in this world. I do not expect to be treated graciously by most people, but when they represent themselves as virtuous and then reward people for things other than virtue, I thank God that I believe in and rely on Him for His tender mercies. He is the only reliable source of truly gracious behavior. As James Madison said, "If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If men were governed by angels, no controls on government would be necessary". It's too bad we're not angels. Prove anyone who claims to be one.

1 comment:

Yulia Shmatkova said...

It's a sad and painful post. Unfortunately, just these days I experienced exactly what you mentioned when people blame the others greedy and try to put the fault for all their problems on others.