11 November 2011

Sounds of Freedom

Share
Today is the first day of Nellis AFB's annual "Aviation Nation". It is also the first time in several years where Veteran's Day actually coincides with the event without being observed to a Friday.

As I shoveled and scooped and pulled weeds, I heard the planes fly overhead. I looked around and saw nobody flying the flag. So, I texted my father and thanked him for serving in the USAF. It has influenced my life in so many positive ways. Sure, it was a trying experience, but it was the best experience for me.

Long ago, although the phrase is not mine, I heard someone complain about the jet noises. The other person turned and said, "Those are the sounds of freedom". America has made possible a consistent annual trend where people can see their military in motion and not fear for their lives.

I love the part in Michael Sharra's novel "The Killer Angels" where Colonel Chamberlain talks to the 2nd Maine deserters. He tells them "This is an army that hasn't happened much in the history of the world...this is an army out to set other men free."

Last week, I gave my students a lecture that wasn't from the book or on the exam. I told them that you go into medicine, not for the pay or the prestige, but because you are willing to give up your life to save someone else's. That's what America's soldiers do.

My legacy of service to our nation fills me with great joy. My father set a fine example and took me to great places on wings like eagles.

To you, dad, and all those who have actually defended the Constitution in their service. Godspeed, and many thanks.

No comments: