19 November 2011

Losing Heart

Share
On a Friday in August of 2010, I came very close to death. While driving home from work, a tire blew out. Although I suspected something was wrong and had already begun to work my way to the side of the road, I was going 55mph at the time and lost control. The car careened to the right and headed towards a 5' tall concrete wall that separated the freeway from the adjacent onramp.

As I drove towards it, one question crossed my mind, "Am I ready to die?" Almost immediately, a sense of calm enveloped my mind (I will explain that phrase later), and I heard a voice in my head that answered, "Don't worry about it." Seconds later, my car bounced off the wall and came to a stop parallel to it and a few hundred yards further down the freeway. Nobody stopped at any time to check on me or offer assistance. I walked around the car several times, almost in a daze. See, the calm that had enveloped me had deadened my reactions and emotions, and I had to dissipate the energy somehow.

Curiously enough, I was able to drive the car home. Curiously enough, to this day as far as I know, I suffered no ill effects from the crash. Curiously enough, I managed to avoid hitting anything or anyone else on my way to the side of the road.  I do not know why, but I testify to you that God saved my life that afternoon. I could have just as easily flipped over the barrier and landed on my head, been crushed by the car, or had any number of chemicals or car parts penetrate my body. Within a week, I was back to jogging, and I can report that I only have trouble sleeping when it's hot out or if I do a lot of shoveling during the day. I am truly blessed.

Six months later, my grandfather died. Many of my relatives were visibly distraut. I remember I held my sister's hand and put my hand on a cousin's shoulder as we held the funeral. Perhaps it is because of my experiences that I was strong. I knew that everything has been done according to the will of Him who knoweth all things.

When sore trials come upon men, it gives us strength to have hope and faith in a better world, in another world. From my earliest years until now, I have been taught that there is something true but as yet unseen. On that day in August, and on an April afternoon when I arrived in my grandmother's condo, I knew I was in the hand of God and so was my grandfather. Consequently, I went through both experiences with confidence and peace.

In the last days mens hearts really will fail them. They will stop believing, stop loving, and stop caring. We lose heart because we lack true perspective, and I thank God for the experience by which I nearly died because it was a powerful example to me of His preserving hand in my life and in the lives of people I know. Sure, sometimes I could use more blessings that actually look like blessings, but I have learned to submit my will to His and trust that He will lead me to a land of promise.

During our mortal probation, we learn many things that are false. We care about things and use people rather than using things in order to care for people. We portend, pretend, and upend many truths in favor of what we'd like to be true. That isn't faith or even good science- it's political science or in other words the art of having other people see things your way. The fact is that as the heaven is higher than the earth, so the thoughts and ways of God are higher than our thoughts and ways. He sees things much more clearly because He has a better perspective. This thanksgiving season, I thank God for giving me a small glimpse into that better perspective. It is good to live.

No comments: