17 August 2011

Somehow, There's a Way

Share
When the legislature passed their modified version of the governor's budget, I lost a lot of hope. Much of my hope for advancement and teaching opportunities actually rested in abolition of the furlough program. The powers in my own department were reticent to do the paperwork and test the waters, but thanks to a fine fellow over in Chemistry, I found an open door. So, the Chemistry department welcomes me, with my degree in Biochemistry, into their ranks even though I belong to Biology.

I had resolved that if things were supposed to work out they would. Not that I had much hope for it per se, but I knew that other opportunities would arise if teaching were once again not in my stars. By a happy chance circumstance, I managed to meet the one criterion that was no longer in my power to change, and I am moving forward.

Much of my life is, perhaps the same as with you, a series of unfortunate setbacks. I have learned over the past few years to deal submissively with heartbreak, heartache, and disappointment. I rest assured in my conviction that, although I may not understand why something like that happened, God loves me and will consecrate my afflictions to the good of my soul. My friends and associates want me to be happy. God wants me to be exalted. As I submit to God's will, I trust in good things to come.

Years ago, before things really started to turn in a way that was obviously favorable, I used to say that "what should be will be when the time is right". Somehow, there is a way to do anything that really matters. Some things don't really matter. They are neither urgent nor important. Even some either urgent or important things don't really matter. They are not necessary to our sanctification.

Human beings have a tendency to arrive at the destination on which they set their sights. Maybe you have to take a detour, but keeping your eye on the goal really helps. My tennis game improved vastly when I stopped trying to see the ball hit the racket and started looking where I wanted the ball to fly.

God asks things of men that can be done. Maybe they can't be done right now with the tools or people available, but they are all possible. If you find yourself without means or materials to accomplish what He asks, that means they are forthcoming. Either ask Him to show you where to find ore to make tools, or if He's silent for now, wait for further instructions.

When I was transferred to another campus, I wondered what God might have in mind. The new teaching opportunity is more convenient. Maybe they're just coincidental, but it sure makes it easier for me to meet the new opportunities in a win-win scenario for everyone involved. If it is God's will that I teach, He made it possible, without undue influence over my agency, and I look forward to the challenges and opportunities.

Classes start Monday.

No comments: