13 June 2011

Casting the 2nd Stone

Share
We've all heard someone challenge us when we see someone do something wrong not to cast the first stone. Generally, that falls to someone who actually has the right to roast someone else because they've never done anything wrong. Of course, that means none of us should ever throw the first stone, because every one of us has sinned at least a little.

What of the second stone? What would that even mean? Does the second stone belong to people who wait for someone who is a moral authority to start throwing stones?

There is a danger in carrying stones period. Aside from the dangers we could do to ourselves and the extra baggage that weight forces us to carry around with us, if we constantly walk around carrying rocks, chances are we will throw them. Even when I was a small lad, we would throw grass. Fortunately, that doesn't hurt too much, unless you get it in your eye, which is why I stopped throwing grass at people although I still pick at it and throw it if I sit in a meadow or park.

Although Jesus never said anything about the second stone, the same rules I believe apply. It is not open season on someone even if Jesus casts a stone at him or her. Yet, I think I know many people who are poised and wait only for Jesus or someone who represents Him to toss that first stone so that they can let loose with a literal barrage of their own.

We do not know other people's circumstances. Many people are ignorant of a better way or lack the personal strength or external support to consistently choose correctly. Whereas I am sad when they choose to be less than that of which they are possibly capable, I do not condemn them. I praise them for their progress, remembering that even three steps forward and two steps backwards is still a little progress.

Leave the stones on the ground. If you do pick them up, use them to make markers along the trail for those who follow you.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Love this. There is a quote by someone (whose name I should remember but don't) that I try to remember -- about never condemning or hurting another because everyone is carrying some kind of burden or other. The truth is we will never really know what someone else is coping with and there is never a case when we should throw a rock.