31 December 2009

Why Does Everyone Stay Up Until 2AM?

Share
It's New Year's Eve, and so most people, including many who don't ordinarily stay up late, will not only stay up late to welcome the new year but also to party long into the night. For me, it seems fairly silly, because I learned about Circadian rhythum and cyclical behavior as a Biochemist.

When you stray from a regular schedule, your body struggles to compensate. It programs activities based on patterns. So, in the morning, nobody will be available to do anything, and most people will not do much because they'll be so exhausted from the night before. It's sad tis true, tis true, tis pity and pity tis, tis true.

Nothing good happens after midnight.

1 comment:

Bri said...

So true, fireworks were fun and all, but the reason that kept me up was that epic game of UNO. I didnt win either :(

I spent time with my extended family-in-laws and we enjoyed our night's festivities. In this case, I think an exception to the stated rule applies.