11 October 2009

So You Vote...Would You Like a Medal?

Share
Many of my acquaintences disagree with my politics. Many of them cast blame at other people. We defend those about whom we care, for our care for them, particularly when we do not really know them, is in part care and love for ourselves.

One particular acquaintence showed the level of his commitment. He answered, when I told him to put his money where his mouth was and run for office and prove his way is better, that he votes. Good for you. Would you like a medal?

I worked at the polls in 2008. Many people came in who had never before voted. They came to be part of the "historical election". Some of them asked me for whom they should vote. Out of integrity, I told them that the choice was up to them. Others were not so honest.

Voting is easy. You go in, cast your voice, and then moan and whine when the other guy wins or when the guy for whom you voted changes his mind. None of it is your fault. You did your part.

Another acquaintence had this to say: "[Voting] gives us the ability to pretend we cast an important vote and that our opinions matter, but in the end, regardless of what we write on our ballots its the same corrupt fools being elected, we simply decide if they are elephants or donkeys..." I disagree with his premise that it's a complete waste, but yes, it does seem that some of them share everything except the emblem of their party affiliation.

You know what your state needs. Vote for someone who agrees. Yes, I said that, and now it is my copyright. Voting gives us the ability to pretend we did something, but it takes much more than that.

Write letters, attend meetings, talk to your neighbors, complain, read, learn, get involved, and by gum run for office yourself if you can. I know good men don't run and I know full well why, but if they don't, my friend will be right and the same corrupt fools will be elected. In my opinion, every single Congressman and Senator needs to be kicked out of office as soon as possible as a message that we will not allow that to continue. The trouble is that to accomplish this, we must present the people with real alternatives.

No comments: