30 October 2009

Responsibility Must Be Taken

Share
There is a good reason many are called but few are chosen. There is a good reason why there are few real leaders, lots of managers, and many more shrupshire sheep. Responsibility is not something that can be given. Responsibility must be taken and taken seriously.

People want things to be given to them. We live in a your-way-right-away generation. Some of the people I teach or with whom I go to church act as if to say, "I'm an adult. Give me what I deserve as an adult." To which I respond, "Prove you're an adult by taking responsibility".

Young people today just go hang out. They say they are living life to the fullest, but they aren't really living life at all. They exist. Their days may be filled, but they are not full. They may seem to have everything, but they bewail what they lack.

As I seek an eternal companion with whom to make a family, I meet with some odd resistance. From, "I wish I could find a guy like you" to "you intimidate me" to "you're a good guy, but...", ooh that infernal codicle, I find that women want a good guy but won't do what is necessary to deserve one. I know some who refuse to lose weight, want to just have a good time and "hang out", read only when they must, prefer movies to the theater, and think that my 32" waist isn't skinny enough.

I really like this quote from "The Notebook":


I am no one special. Just a common man with common thoughts. I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but in one respect I've succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul and for me that has always been enough.


Choosing to avoid drugs- that isn't an accomplishment. Choosing to drive responsively isn't an accomplishment; staying in school isn't an accomplishment. It's just life. Saving a portion of my income isn't a special action; living within my means isn't noteworthy; it's common sense. I am an ordinary man. Everyone else has surrendered what they want most for what they want at the moment (M. Russell Ballard).

"I am not a hero. I am not an angel. I am just a man, a man who's tried to love her, more than any other, in her eyes I am (Her Eyes by Josh Groban)." I love and I am loved, and love is something I take seriously. It is my highest choice and the righteous desire of my heart. Someday God will lead me to a woman I deserve (or her to me) because I put him and his kingdom first as he asked.

1 comment:

Bri said...

All too often, I was told by girls (of varying morality) in high school/college that they were going to marry a 'returned missionary' because they supposedly were the better choice to help themselves out spiritually.

I wasnt their favorite person when I pointed out that if they really wanted to marry a returned missionary, they should be the kind of person a returned missionary would want to marry. I can only speculate why my comment was not appreciated...