02 August 2008

Yes or No Will Do

Share

As I listen to famous media commentators and hold my own conversations, I come across a disturbing and irritating trend. Unfortunately, much as I would like to accuse liberals as having a monopoly on the subject, in general the people in the know upon whom we depend for the straight story refrain from answering the questions.

Politicians never answer questions where they know they are wrong. They either deflect the question and change the subject or they answer the question they WISH they were asked and take the opportunity to pontificate on whatever their pet topic happens to be. Even Senator John Ensign (R-NV) when I ask him straight questions sometimes dodges the broader issue, much as I like him.

When taken below in Jabba’s Palace and asked, “You are a protocol droid are you not?”, C-3PO begins a tirade on his qualifications and expertise. The asker stops him short and says, “Yes or no will do”. Ditto.

I don’t need a bunch of excuses or reasons. I trust their judgment, although perhaps I shouldn’t. I need to know what they will do and what they believe so that I can make a reasoned argument for MY position and dispel their concerns/reservations. However, I think they want to be all things to all people; Barack Obama certainly does. Tell me where you stand or get out of my way.

No comments: