23 August 2008

Prescribing History

Share

One day I was reading a comment from Carl Pope of the Sierra Club that gave me pause. He asserted that "George Bush is the most horrendous president in US history." Now I’m no fan of either President Bush per se, but that seems extremely shortsighted of him to make that claim.

Many other presidents fit that bill for a slue of reasons. What about William Henry Harrison who was so inconsiderate of the American people to, after the expense in time and money it took to elect him, die 31 days into his first term? I could go on and on about other examples, but I think I’ll focus on one.

I was born in the darkest period of American History- the Carter Administration. ON the eve of my birth, Carter had brought the nation to the brink of ruin with the OPEC cartel and Iran, with the entire middle east laughing at how America was beholden to them. We languished under high taxes, low resource availability, rationing, high interest rates (my parents bought their first home at over 9%), etc. Now Jimmy Carter travels around the world bashing America to every nation and talking about how bad we are.

Like Carl Pope, Carter offers no solutions, only complaints. They tell us we should drill for oil in places where it’s easy to get to but forbid us access to those places. They complain about prices for goods but protect those resources from use with legislation. They undermine the engine that built America’s prosperity, from a position of relative wealth and safety no less. We don’t need naysayers laying blame. We need problem solvers offering a plan.

No comments: