11 July 2015

Go to the Mountain

Share
Today was an exceptionally pleasant July day in Vegas, but even moreso up on the mountain. It was only 57F at 9:00 when I arrived at the trailhead for my daily hiking assignment, and when I left hours later it was only 71F. Despite warm temperatures and wind in the valley, there was a chilly wind up on the escarpment, and even the sun didn't feel that intense on my back. It was a pleasant day by temperature, by company, and by scenery, and I'm glad I went. I'm also glad that I was on my way back down and not in the long line of cars heading up single file in the afternoon.

Despite the popularity of this trail, there were not as many cars as normal. Despite the popularity of this trail, nobody passed me or even caught up with me all day until I turned around to head back after my calf started complaining about the pace I was keeping. I passed a large scout group headed up to camp near the peak, but most people were just going to the spring or the giant Bristlecone Pine Tree that's among the eldest trees on earth (I think it's #10). Despite the traffic, there was only a single piece of trash. I was also surprised that only one person ever afforded me the right to pass; I stopped for almost everyone else. I was also kind of annoyed that most of the females didn't say anything to me, but since all but a few were "with" someone, I didn't let it get me down. I was having a great day. The weather made it impossible to dampen my mood.

Despite hot seasonal temperatures in the valley, it was a pleasant October morning on the mountain. I wondered as I started if I was underdressed. The 25lb pack on my back kept me warm, and since I sweat a lot, I was careful to only take it off once when I needed more water bottles from inside it. Arriving this early during peak sun times gave me the maximum of shade when I needed it and periodic breezes from the side to keep me cool as I went. This was probably the most pleasant weather day I ever experienced on Mt. Charleston, and it was a shame I couldn't make it to the peak, although it was probably even more chilly up there! In all, I only drank a liter of water while hiking, which I think reflects just as much on the weather as on my conditioning.

Despite the late day, it was a time of growth and prosperity on the mountain. The lupines were just barely blooming, and they were not the only wildflowers out above 10,000 feet. It was finally time to see the new purple pinecones that bristlecone trees produce, and although not as plentiful as in former years, the new growth on these trees attested to a good year on the peak. WHen I stopped to empty rocks from my shoes, I marveled at how many dragonflies gathered around me, riding the wind and saying hello. There were birds and small mammals everywhere, and on the way back down I saw mountain lion scat that wasn't there an hour or so earlier when I passed by the first time. Even new people were plentiful, as I met at least a dozen who were on their maiden trip to the mountain, which was splendid. I am glad to see them come and taking good care of the wilderness.

People get satisfaction out of life in vastly different ways. I have been to places of natural and sublime beauty in the wilderness and in places just outside my back door. Other people I know here in town go to clubs, parties, concerts, and other entertainment venues, spending countless hours and sums of money to see what throngs of others know. I know that I am not alone in my preference for the wilderness, that I prefer to go out and see something natural, historical, artisinal, than go out among the throngs. It's my personal preference, but I thank God for it, because I have seen some pretty country and amazing things. I've seen hummingbirds protect their nests from my intrusion to their domain, watched lightning from my backyard, explored the mountains to see each type of wildflower burst forth, walked in hail during summer thunderstorms, and let butterflies land on my legs ostensibly to take salt from my skin. You can't buy those experiences, and you certainly won't get them in a crowd. So, I go to the mountain. The only thing that could have made today better was to have a special someone with whom to share it, which would have changed it, but I would have changed it to share it with her. Go to the mountain, go often, and go early.

No comments: