19 April 2014

Stay on Target

Share
This weekend, a few friends and I went out into the desert for some marksmanship. My buddy had a few new rifles to sight in, and I have some I needed to adjust for me, so we joined a group of other people because I'm not sure where to go to shoot in this county, since I am not a cavalier when it comes to breaking the law. Several things about this group impressed me in a negative way, and I am not quite sure why they were out shooting at all. I saw some shenanigans that made me think just for a moment that some people shouldn't own guns. At least they ought be properly taught how to use and respect them. It served for me as an interesting allegory, the allegory of the marksman.

When we arrived, I discovered that we were first. This is a problem in several ways. First off, they wasted some of my time. I arrived for the 9AM meeting. We didn't leave the parking lot for another half hour. Secondly, I don't know where we're going, so having us there first is moot. Finally, if you arrive first, you get to face all the problems first, and so it does no good to arrive without the rest of your support or your unit in tact. That's how you get lost or lose your life. It's dangerous to go alone.

Coincidentally many of them arrived wearing red. I know from Star Trek that wearing red is foolish, as the red shirts have the highest chance of not returning from the away mission. Furthermore, historically, wearing red was what made the British so easy to attack during the Battle of Lexington because they were easy to see, particularly in the desert.

Most of them appeared to know little about proper range etiquette. As soon as we drove up, one of them opened fire immediately. It was extremely inconsiderate for him to start shooting before we donned ear protection, set up targets, and got situated. When the others left, we found the ground near them littered with brass casings. Now, I didn't find all of mine, but I do police my brass to leave the area as clean as possible. The BLM will shut down the area if people continue to litter helter skelter. At least twice, two of the others turned, with a loaded gun, and pointed it in my direction. When mine were not in use, the barrel was ALWAYS pointed downrange. This is an easy way to get accidentally shot as they tried to unjam a round or whatever with the gun pointed at another person.

I must look like a real dork, because they offered to help me shoot and to let me shoot their weapons. I don't think they thought much of us, and Alfredo was out for his first time. When I hit the target 5/5 at 35m with a Revolver, they shut up quickly. Later, when I hit the target 5/15 without a scope on an AR15 at 100m, and then 2/2 with a Mosin/Nagant at the same distance, they packed up and left. You see, we took time to actually figure out how our guns work. With one exception, it looked like most of them were out there trying to be macho and discharging weapons without much concern for accuracy or form. Alfredo even went so far as to say he didn't want them near him if we ever went into battle, and I agree.

I'm not much of a marksman, and I'm not into that much machismo. Partly this is because I actually shoot left while most guns and sights are designed for right-handed people. I got into firearms mostly for historical interest and as a skill, and so I have a wide range of sizes and calibres so that I know how they work, how to care for them, and how to shoot one in case I ever need to. However, it seems like most people go out to compensate for some other personal inadequacy, and far too many of them are as clumsy as they are stupid. My first time shooting was at scout camp in FL when I was like 13, and my first day I was awful. I learned how the gun worked, and by the end of the week, I earned that Rifle Shooting merit badge.

In life as in shooting, far too many people seem to set out without much of a plan. They arrive late, come unprepared, and work alone when they could benefit from the team. Rather than spend time setting their sights right so they can hit the target, they go out and try to do everything by eye, by feel, and by their gut, and although sometimes they get lucky, they don't tend to stay on target. We spent about an hour and about 20-30 rounds per rifle setting the sights so that we could achieve our goals. Time spent in preparation ahead of time saves you time when you need it. This is why athletes train, working people save, and people everywhere prepare for future possibilities. Proper preparation helps you stay on target.

When we fail in life, people tell us to change our sight, our gaze, and our goals. They seem to think that like the sour grapes allegory an objective that is difficult to achieve is not worth obtaining. Although 100m isn't that impressive of a distance in terms of competition, my ability to continually hit my target is what sets me apart. Imperfect human beings around us manage to randomly hit targets by luck and surge forward, but people who continually find their target and hit it tend to weather upsets better and achieve their goals more frequently than those who fly by the seat of their pants.

I have found that most people prefer to cheat. The people with whom we went out showed themselves worthy of scorn and reprove, but I didn't do anything other than show them up because if they decided they could shoot me when I'm not looking. An ambush like that doesn't make them better than I am, but it could make them the victor. I got some disappointing news at work this week that indicates to me that the college will continue to prop up people not based on their merit but on their relationship to the GOBNet. These are not people who consistently hit the target; they are people who fawn over those who infrequently manage to hit the target with luck. We have people who do not qualify in positions of authority all over this world, and they have their reward.

God reminded me this week not to measure myself by man's metrics. I sometimes worry that by doing what is right I will lose, but I will only lose on earth in that case. Do not think that there isn't restoration, retribution, and restitution after death. Even those who believe in karma claim to believe that it continues after they die, and the Lord who seeth in the secret of your heart shall reward thee openly. Stay on target. If the purpose for which you started the attempt seems just and brave and true, rather than deviate press forward resolutely. If it was right when you believed in it, prayed about it, and lived for it, it is right now. Do not let the winds of opposition discourage you from keeping the target in sight. You have practiced your faith, and it will hit the target eventually and consistently once you find your mark.

No comments: