05 December 2013

Losing Customers

Share
I don't eat a lot of fast food. Once a week, however, I go over to a Wendy's near campus for their grilled chicken sandwich. Most of the time, I use a coupon and get it for under $3. The biggest reason I go there however is because of a particular person who works there, and so it's oddly paradoxical that because of another person who works there I will never go there again.

I mostly frequent this location because of a woman there named Kathy. Kathy is in her late 60s and looks like it, but she has a beautiful soul. Although she does not remember my name, she remembers that I am a teacher, that I play racquetball on Fridays, and that I always order a chicken sandwich, although she thinks I always get it to "dine in". Her attention to detail and demeanor make me feel like I am important and valued, and so I go there because I want to help her be successful. I know that some day she will leave, and as soon as she is able, because she and I feel much the same about this location- it's a dead end job in a bad part of town that puts you in contact with dregs of society. Despite her haggard appearance, Kathy is upbeat and chipper and helpful and attentive, and she will get a Christmas gift from me this year in lieu of future patronage.

Today, I went over, and Kathy was not there. As I have betimes been wont to do when she is absent, I almost turned right around intending to return another day. It would have been better for them if I had done so. An assistant manager or at least someone of some authority was at the register instead of Kathy. I know from prior visits that Mini, as this other woman's nametag announced her identity, has authority over others there. She is always surly and condescending that I recall. She barks at the people who work there. Usually, I don't see her working very hard, but her face looks very hard, and I came to find out from the way she treated me today that she's as "pretty" inside as she is outside. Contrasted to Kathy's treatment, Mini made me feel quite the opposite and insisted that I was in the wrong. That's a piss poor way to treat any customers.

I was so disgusted that I left without making a purchase and returned to work. I immediately called corporate to complain and decided that, no matter the efforts from management or corporate that Mini had effectively acted in a way to permanently lose me as a customer. I told the woman on the service line that I will go out of my way to avoid this location because everyone there is in a foul mood with a chip on their shoulder, and nobody in their right mind would go there and be treated in that fashion. They take my money and then force other people at low wages to give me food. Let's not pretend they're more important than they really are. I would rather starve than frequent an establishment that treats me like I am scum on the bottom of their shoes. (Yes, these are all things I conveyed to corporate in my complaint). Furthermore, I told this person that if it were up to me, I'd fire Mini notwithstanding that it's three weeks before Christmas. She clearly doesn't understand that she has a job because they have customers.

As far as Kathy goes, I feel bad. I can eat better for less money if I plan ahead anyway, but I went there to support her. You see, I'm the kind of person who will go out of his way to help other people be successful if they treat me like a person. To Mini, I was just another faceless customer who constituted a sale rather than a member of the family of man. The manager there isn't much better if at all. I would certainly never work for her with what I have experienced from my infrequent interactions with her. She is also condescending to the staff who are doing their best as far as I know to do a good job for a paltry wage. I'm not arguing for higher wages; I'm arguing to treat people like people.

Far too few organizations realize in my estimation why they exist and hence lose customers. Even the college needs to understand despite remarks to the contrary from administrators that we exist only because we have customers. I have heard my own dean insist that the faculty are the only part of the institution that matters; hello, what about the students? Customers do not exist for the business's success. The business is successful because of customers. Every one they lose ultimately hurts not only the business but all of the people who work there. Kathy is only one, so I will offer her a final ovation and then bid her adieu. The rest of the people at Wendy's #4022 can take a long walk off a short pier.

No comments: