08 November 2013

Seven and Wait

Share
This summer, I came as close as I think I ever have to a real shot at having everything I ever wanted in life. I have previously mentioned how grateful I am for what I have and what the eight categories of wellness in life are, and this summer, I really felt like I was about to have what felt too good to be true. My best friend has confirmed that he doesn't think it fell apart because it was "too good to be true", and he is the source of the title of today's article. While discussing Seven of Eight, he played with some rhymes and came up with "Seven, and Wait."

Years ago, while driving through a particularly empty part of Nevada, I was stranded in the snow. After attempting to do everything I could think to do to free myself, at length I determined to add prayer to the checklist of things I had done to find a solution. After it was over, I sat there, not really sure what I expected, wondering if there would be any answer at all. Turns out, I didn't have to wait. No more than a few minutes later, a truck rolled around the corner and the driver came to my rescue.

Not all of our prayers are answered as quickly or in the way we might hope. Sometimes, we are told what is right, but it's not the right timing. Sometimes, even though we do what is right, the timing of other people is off. Several years ago, due to unsubstantiated allegations by a coworker in a vain attempt to divert attention to someone else for her miscreantism, I came under investigation by a federal agency. Many of my friends advised me to retain an attorney and protect myself. I knew that I would probably prevail, but in so doing I feared losing my position as well as any other future comparable prospects if I sued the state for wrongful persecution and won. After many months of prayer, I decided to follow the counsel to "seek only as much remedy as will alleviate the current distress" and waited. This does not mean I sat idle; I had many conversations with the Department Chair inviting him to act before I hired an attorney and took the matter out of his hands. In the end, waiting took me to a better place with better prospects, and I know that it was wisdom to follow that counsel.

Consequently, I wait. I still have the seven I have had ever since I was divorced. By and large, all of them are looking up even after perturbations to my investments. The final one isn't really even up to me entirely. I enjoyed some good company and got excited about good prospects, and in the end I console myself that I did the best I knew with what I had, and that must be enough. I still have seven, so I wait.

I'm not entirely sure what my friend meant by this, but it's on my mind today. I know that family is not a panacea and that children take a lot more work than I can imagine. One of my cousins is coming to stay with me in a few weeks, and he has several young boys, and that may be enough to make me grateful that when they leave I can have peace and quiet once more. Not many people I know can say they accomplished everything they wanted to do with their lives that was theirs to control by the age of 30. I have. Meanwhile, I can wait on other people in a different way and reach out and serve. I know full well that it would not be wise or advisable for me to be out every night with young ladies in my class if I were married or to counsel with single female friends. I would be true to my first priority- my own family.

I realized that I am able to do things today that others can't because I am not obligated the same way they are. I am free to go help, to go work, to go teach, to go hike, to do whatever I like or whatever God needs because I am not otherwise occupied in my open hours. Last night, I again lingered at the store where the gentleman works whose dog recently died because I felt like he might appreciate the company as much as I would. The only place I have to be is where God would send me. So, as I wait on God's promises, I also wait on His children and help them in little ways until I have someone specific of my own for whom to care. Today, that will be enough.

No comments: