22 January 2013

Wikipedia Project

Share
Apparently, I am famous amongst the faculty now. In fall 2010, when I started teaching in the Chemistry department, I gave my Microbiology class a research assignment as one of their tests. Before I did so, I went onto wikipedia and changed the articles relevant to their project to be factually inaccurate. I even went so far as to type in the middle of a sentence this phrase, "I like to do the cha-cha like a sissy girl" so that I could easily identify the cheaters. The class submitted their papers electronically, so the first thing I did was search for that phrase to catch cheaters. I caught two people who copied their research from wikipedia. Today, one of the regular microbiology instructors (I only teach it when they need someone extra) mentioned me in his class. I'm famous!

We have access to tools unlike any the world has ever known. We have access to more information than perhaps at any other time in human history. We are still humans and seek to do as little work as possible, turning to the internet for easy answers without regard for their veracity or utility. One close friend said that most of what's on the internet isn't useful, which is probably why it's free. There is a reason why Wikipedia is only useful as a starting place. At least when it links to other sources you can go looking for more.

Remember that Wikipedia represents the very worst in second hand information. Since it is user built, it contains largely the opinions and information gleaned by other people who are doing the minimum standard. You will not find much in the way of articulate analysis or objectively relayed information. It is colored by its users as those two students learned, and even when it is true, it is not always the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Today however under the notion that they are being objective, too many people write with an objective- to persuade people to agree lock, stock and barrel with them, and in so doing, they present usually only the parts with which they happen to agree. On the occasion where I turn to wikipedia for something more than the date on which a movie was released, I appreciate those who have cited their source, because that's where I frequently turn next, and it is something I try very hard to do in my writings, both here and in print, so that you can see where I got it and decide what you think of it yourself.

Earlier this year, the Founder of Wikipedia fell victim to the same symptoms. Someone altered the wikipedia page about him to be inaccurate. The moral of the story is that just because someone says it does not make it true. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true or useful. All it means is that it's free.

No comments: