30 January 2012

Why Beagles?

Share
Saturday after I finally got home, I returned my grandfather's phone call. While doing so, my beagle hungrily munched away at his dinner (he really likes the new food on which I started him this week), and so my grandfather asked what the noise was. After finding out, he made some interesting comments, and they inspired in part this article.

One of the best things my ex-wife did for me was force me to own a beagle. She already had one when we got married, and in an effort to create synergy with her, I acquiesced to her plan to breed them. Some of my coworkers have noticed that my background image on my work computer is that of a beagle, and some people know about my dogs even if they have never met them. They have several traits I venerate.

Vigilant:
When I take my beagle over to my parents' house, he's a primary instigator of any action against putative threats on the property. He will chase people along the wall. Although he cannot see them or smell them, he knows they are there, and he makes sure they know he is too. Even Sunday afternoon, while sniffing the coffee grounds I have stacked out back with which to counter the alkali soil of Nevada, he noticed me watching him. His ears are always alert. Despite being almost nine years old, he will jump up at a moment and take off like a flash. He is always on guard against the putative dangers.

When he was a puppy, my beagle may have saved my life. I was walking him and an older male up in the hills behind the house where the kennel was when we came upon a pack of coyotes. Although I had taken to carrying something for protection, my baseball bat wasn't going to cut the mustard, but I also had two beagles with me who love me. Without hesitation, they took off towards the coyotes and tore into them. A few minutes later, the coyotes withdrew, two of their number bloodied and dying. My little boy still has scars from that event, but he was so pleased with himself and his performance without even having reached the age of one.

Obedient:
Beagles are not known for being the most obedient of dogs. When they were young, i spoke to them in German, partially so that only I could command them. Even when I know they resist my commands, I see him sometimes torn between his instincts to explore and pursue and his desire to please me. He will circle sometimes when he's fighting, but most of the time, he obeys my commands. Even a few of the puppies I have sold have, when I visited them, obeyed MY commands over that of their owners. You see, when they first open their eyes, I am the first face they see, and I think some of them regard me as their de facto father, if not at least the alpha male of the pack. I have pictures of puppies climbing on my back and pulling at my ear, and I was part of the pack at all times, but always in charge.

The beagle takes a powerful stance. They are highly social and highly instinctual. The one I have at present is among the most obedient and cooperative that I have owned, far more obedient than most beagles tend to be. You see, Obedience is partially learned. If you put little into training, any dog can be mischievous, but he knows what's acceptable, and he will stop when he hits carpet because he's not allowed there and he knows it.

Loyal:
The first time my current roommate escaped, he headed for the chicken coop at the neighbor's house. It was far enough away and vague enough of a destination to me, that I jumped in my car and drove after him across the desert. When I caught up, I opened the door, whistled, and watched in awe as he jumped into the car, looked at me as if to ask "where are we going?" and then sat happily on the seat looking ahead. He knows where he belongs, to whom he belongs. It used to really annoy my ex-wife that the beagles liked me more than her. It's very simple. When I showed up, it was associated with something positive- attention, food, etc., and so they looked to me with the hopes that I had something special for them. As I already mentioned, when my life was threatened, they were willing to defend me to the death.

Beagles have long been a symbol for loyalty. They are companions, social, and less of an allergic irritant than other species and hence enjoy closer companionship with humans. I like bringing other folks by because the way my beagles react to them is a fair gauge of how well I can expect to get along with those I meet. My beagle knows who I am, what I'm like, and what I like, and he has never embraced someone who betrayed me or avoided someone who ended up being a great blessing to me. Beyond that, he's always defending the yard. I pity the teenager who finally decides to risk jumping the fence and runs afoul of my dog. He's killed a coyote.

Charity:
One of the best things about my beagles is that no matter what, they are always happy to see me. After long days when I return home, my beagle will jump in the air and spin in circles for joy to see me and discover that I have not abandoned him. Even when I accidentally hurt him or do something that will eventually help but hurts up front, he seems to almost immediately frankly forgive me. When I ignore him, underfeed him, or just don't have enough time for him, he is still obedient, excited to see me when I'm ready, and happy to be here. I have learned so much about forgiveness and love from having these dogs, and I wish I'd been able to keep more of those I bought, raised, and loved.

The other truth of this beagle is, I think, that he knows that I have twice redeemed him from death. His original breeder intended to terminate him because he didn't think he would ever be a good hunter. Ok, so he's probably not that great of a hunter, but because I was willing then to purchase the puppy, I spared his life. After I was divorced, I redeemed him again from my ex wife who intended to abandon the dogs to some other fate. My beagle knows that I care about him and went to great cost to have him, and he returns that love almost every day.

My beagle is my family. He is the only child I have ever known from the time he was old enough to fly in a crate until the present day that isn't a blood relative. He is my only conversational partner and confident betimes. He is the only person who knows all my flaws and loves me anyway.

Just like people, beagles have their shortcomings. However, they are so much better at the things they do well than I am that they inspire me to do better, to be better, and to love better as they love me.



No comments: