15 March 2017

I Loved DC Before StudioC

Share
Very rarely in my life have I ever been cool. Usually, it's because what I was already doing suddenly became cool. The first thing was when I started wearing white undershirts all the time, and in college that briefly became the thing to do, and so I was cool. Then, when beards became cool, since I already had one, I enjoyed some acceptance. Recently, I've noticed that socks under sandals is suddenly cool, which boggles my mind, because 10 years ago people made fun of me for doing that. My how times change. I'm not really a hipster, but I became a fan of BYU's Divine Comedy in 2006, far before any of the people who now appear weekly in BYU Channel's StudioC ever joined the group. However, I have known those people since that time. I knew them before they were famous.

I often say that I will keep something until someone becomes famous. Then I can say I knew them, and maybe I can cash in on that with a little cold, hard cash. However, I also find that, when other people like things, suddenly I become less of a fan. In fact, I would still rather watch Divine Comedy skits. It's nostalgic. It's real effort. It's real people. It's because they love it and not because they get paid. I guess in that way I am actually a hipster.

As a much longer diatribe on the subject, here is a video I made to all of you at DC and StudioC. I liked you before you were cool. Deal with it...

No comments: