27 November 2016

Season of Miracles

Share
I returned today from a back country trek across the wilderness of Zion that constitutes little short of a series of standing miracles. As the Christmas season opens, I think of miracles, of Christ, of meaning, and of what really matters. I can't remember the time I felt so happy to be "home" in my own bed. Every year for Thanksgiving, my family puts notes in a Thankful Turkey to take stock of the miracles in our life. Since I left shortly after dinner with my parents, I didn't participate in either the deposition or the reading of these notes like I have in years passed, but in the quiet morning moments this weekend when it was too cold and dark to move but I was awake, as we stared at the Milky Way in full splendor above our heads at night, and as we drove away from the park, I marveled at all the works God's hand made. Perhaps this is the season of miracles just because we take time to actually notice them.

Miracles that made the wilderness
The trek starts at the Kolob Canyon off I-15 into Zion National Park, but it took us several hours to actually get into position, stationing a car at the end point and then driving back to the start. By the time we hit the trail, the sun was up, so it was comfortable, which was wonderful because it's the end of November and cold. As we walked through the river valleys, climbed the ridges, watched the wild animals, treked across the plateau, looked at the beautiful vistas, and wandered where the deer and the buffalo roam free, I marveled at the hand that built this region and then carved into it. The views were breathtaking, and from the prints on the trail, I can tell that few people see much of what we saw. After the first four miles and before the last four miles, we saw a total of three other people. You think of the challenges living things face, the difficulty of living in a desert environment, and how much they thrive, and it was absolutely breathtaking, worth every bit of effort and strain and money to make this trek finally happen. More than that, you consider the miracles of time to first make it look like this and then to have it look this fantastic when we made our way into that pristine region.

Miracles that saved us in the wilderness
When you consider the possibilities for things to go wrong and the lack of likely assistance in case of trouble, it's a miracle we made it back in good order. Although it snowed Monday, by the time we arrived, all that remained of that was muddy and icy sections that were shaded all day. We took plenty of water didn't need to filter any, having overhydrated before leaving just in case. A storm blew in last night, but we were on the last seven miles of the total 35.7 mile stretch when we finally hit any bad weather. The car wouldn't start when we finally reached it, but after a brief prayer, I felt impressed to check the battery and found that driving over unimproved roads had simply loosened the battery cable, and we were on our way only 10 minutes after discovering the problem. Nobody got hurt. It was probably the best possible outcome considering the time of year.

Miracle of my daily blessings
Returning to my own place, I remain cognizant of how well I have things. I don't have to camp or farm or hunt or walk 17 miles per day in rough country. I have a nice bed, warm clothes, plenty of delicious food, adventurous and reliable friends, a decent job, and the physical, psychological, and intellectual capacity to make these treks and do so successfully. When I consider the miracles that came together to create the world, the society, and the living standard that we take for granted, I know that we are blessed with the bounty of heaven. I chose to make this trek, and I was able to return to the comfortable and profitable life I enjoy. Maybe that's one reason why I like hiking, camping, and exploring, because it reminds me when I return of just how many miracles my life contains. My needs are small; I buy them all at the nickel and dime.

There's so much for which to be thankful, and not just because it's that time of year. I guess at Thanksgiving we just get a chance to focus on it and realize after taking stock just how many miracles we see. I'm still counting on that Season of Perpetual Hope, that a particular miracle will still be mine. I haven't given up hope. Midian had a giant army; Gideon's handful had God. Sarah's too old to have children, but she has one just the same. The blind see, the lame walk, and people's hearts are turned to one another. Wondrous things have been made, and more will be made. God brought me to a land of promise before, so when He decides to do so again it will. May you see the miracles already done, those being done right now and room for more in your future this Christmas season. God bless us, every one.

No comments: