29 June 2010

Unpretentious Unsung Heroes

Share
Today I watched this video about a D-Day survivor who finally received 13 medals for which he had been recommended during his service in World War II. Like the man I met who came ashore that fateful day when I worked the polls in 2008, this man exemplifies the sort of selfless service and sacrifice sadly absent from America apparently today. I for one am glad to see him rightly honored.

We miss a lot of heroes. Often, it's because nobody knows their stories, and many of those stories go untold because the men in them felt like they did nothing special. I gave a talk in church a few months ago. I am for some inexplicable reason held in high regard among members of my Faith in general, so I told them that I don't do anything special. I just do my duty. That's what these men did, and that's why we don't know their names.

Heroism goes beyond the battlefield. This particular type of hero is easier to identify. There are great neighbors, storekeepers, teachers, students, strangers, and friends who have been heroes to us in their own way. Most of them just do their duty. We are their opus, and what we do with our lives as a result is our tribute to their sacrifice.

What will we do with the freedom this Sergeant helped secure?

No comments: