02 July 2024

Collusion and Tow Companies?

Share
Just before I left work on July 1st, University Police called me to tell me that my car was at a local towing company. This was in direct contradiction to what the detective told me I could expect. Police procedure means that they are supposed to scan the VIN if there is no plate (which there was none) and then contact me before calling a tow. I found that nothing happened the way I expect it.

The car was not how I expected. The only things missing were the contents of the glove box. I suppose they took the 1995 Saturn Owner's Manual as a trophy. Everything else they put into the trunk, including a tshirt that isn't mine and probably belongs to the thieves. All the parts were there except they tore up the ignition module. They only drove four miles. They probably couldn't start the car, because I couldn't start it with a screwdriver. So, it was always a loss as soon as it disappeared.

According to a sticker on the window, North Las Vegas PD found the car abandoned on the street on 20 June 2024. Apparently they did NOT run the VIN. Only after the tow company received the car did they contact UPD who called me.

I'm the victim here. Twice. My car was stolen. Then I had to pay money to either recover a car I couldn't start so I can find out if I can repair ir or pay money to let the tow company keep it. If the police had called me, I could have towed the car to my house for $50 on my own. Instead, I had to pay hundreds of dollars and didn't even keep the car.

This looks a lot like a scam between police and the towing company to generate extra revenue. I should have known on the 20th of June where the car was and had the chance to move it. Instead, they just put a sticker on the window and then let a towing company come get it so that I would have to pay for work that was completely unnecessary.

Something smells bad. IN any case I signed over the title and paid for the privilege of letting them keep my car. Twice the victim. THe only winner here? The Towing Company. Sus.

No comments: